Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration > HR Learning Path
Adding an Employment Instance (Student Help) in HRS
OverviewStudents may have multiple jobs across a campus or several campuses. When hiring a student that already has an active appointment (in HRS) of any type and is expected to continue on, an additional employment instance (or Employee Record) will need to be added for the new Concurrent Job. This procedure outlines the steps needed to add the Concurrent Job for a Student Hourly employee.
- If the student has an Employee Record (Empl Rcd) that is terminated, rehire the student into the lowest inactive Empl Rcd for their Concurrent Job; see KB Rehiring a Student Help Employee in HRS
- HRS Security role required: HR Student Help Update (UW_UNV_HR_STUDENT_HELP_UPD)
- Criminal Background Check date, Sexual Harassment Reference Check date (if applicable) and Position of Trust type will need to be added after all steps have been completed; see Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust, and Sexual Harassment Reference Checks in HRS
Navigation: Workforce Administration > Job Information > Add Employment Instance-Student
Note: HR representatives with HRS security access to create employment instances for faculty and staff (non-students) use the New Employment Instance page instead. See Adding an Employment Instance (Non-Madison) in HRS.
- Enter the Empl ID
- Press Tab; Empl Record will update on its own
- Click 'Add Relationship'
- Enter Required Data on Work Location Tab:
- Effective Date: start date of job
- Select Reason
- Company (always UWS)
- Business Unit (Campus)
- Location (Building)
- Expected Job End Date (if applicable)
- Then click Job Information tab.
- Enter required data on Job Information tab:
- Job Code
- Full/Part field as Part-Time
- Pay Basis
- Then click the Compensation tab.
- Enter required data on the Compensation Tab; see KB The Compensation Tab in HRS:
- Click Default Pay Components button
- Verify Rate Code = NAHRLY
- Enter required compensation data in Comp Rate field
- Verify bottom Frequency is H
- Verify top Frequency is H
- Click the Calculate Compensation button
- The Pay Rate will populate in the Comp Rate near the Top Frequency Tab
- Then click the UW Custom tab.
- Enter required data on UW Custom tab:
- Select Continuity of None (N)
- Select Probation Type of Not Required
- Enter a Working Title
- Note: Make the working title descriptive enough so the student can select the correct job when entering time. The working title is the title that is displayed in Time and Labor so the student can select the correct job to record time.
10. Click the UW Benefits tab.
11. Enter Data on the UW Benefits Tab:
- Previous WRS Local Service
- Previous WRS State Service
- When appropriate, change the Benefit Service Date
12. Click OK
- Adding an Employment Instance (Non-Madison) in HRS
- The Compensation Tab in HRS
- HR Report List for HRS
- Adding a Student Help Person in HRS
- Hiring Into a Job or Transfer (Student Help) in HRS
- Rehiring a Student Help Employee in HRS
- Using the Student Template Hire in HRS
- Managing the Student Template Hire - HR Approval in HRS
- Adding or Changing Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense in HRS
- UW Shared Services Glossary
- Creating and Maintaining Time and Labor Security in HRS
- Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust, and Sexual Harassment Reference Checks in HRS