Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Time and Labor
Assigning a Work Schedule (Payroll Coordinator) in HRS
OverviewHRS will automatically assign a default work schedule for a newly hired employee during overnight batch processing, but there may be times when an assigned work schedule needs to be changed. Rehired and Transferred employees are not automatically assigned a new work schedule, and should be manually reviewed and updated appropriately. This document explains how to assign a work schedule for an employee.
Before using this guide, an employee should know/have the following:
- HRS login ID and password
- Work Schedule and Approver Form
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- Log in to HRS.
- Go to Main Menu > Time and Labor > Enroll Time Reporters > Assign Work Schedule.
- You will now be at the Assign Work Schedule page. Enter the desired search criteria for the employee and click on the Search button.
- Click the Empl ID hyperlink for the appropriate job record.
- You will be taken to the Assign Work Schedule page. To change the work schedule, you will need to add a new row to work in. Click on the Add Row () icon.When adding a new effective dated row, do not change the defaulted values in the Assignment Method (Select Predefined Schedule) and Schedule Group (UW_SYSTEM) fields.
- You should always remember that any new schedule you add cannot have the same Effective Date as a previous work schedule. If the Effective Dates are the same you should change the Effective Date for the row you added.
IMPORTANT: The best practice is to have an Effective Date of a Sunday at the beginning of a pay period. Even though HRS can handle mid-pay period adjustments, it will be less confusing to have changes made consistently.
In addition, retroactively assigning or deleting a work schedule may result in the generation of updated hours and result in the employee receiving incorrect pay adjustments.
- To change the work schedule, you need to alter the Schedule ID. If you know the code for the new work schedule you can enter it or click on the Lookup Tool .
- You may want to narrow down the list of results by using the Search and wild card (%). In this example, a Punch 40 hour a week work schedule was needed for Monday-Friday so the user searched using the term "P40_MTWRF%". After entering your search term, click the Look Up button.
- Select the schedule ID you need from the list of results by clicking on either the Schedule ID or Description.
- To make sure you picked the right schedule for the person click the Show Schedule link.
- This will bring you to the Assign Work Schedule page.
- Click the Save button to keep the changes that you made and assign a new work schedule for an employee.
- If there is no existing schedule that reflects the hours that the employee will be regularly working, then click on the 'Work Schedule Request Form' in the Related Links section below.
Attach the completed form to a help desk ticket and forward to the appropriate AG Team for processing.