Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration
Requesting Organizational Department Additions and Changes in HRS
OverviewThis document provides guidance for institutions about requesting Organizational Department updates.
- There are three types of Organizational Department (Org Dept) updates:
- Add new
- Change name
- If the Org Dept update results in a large volume of employee movement from one Org Dept to another, an Org Dept Mass Update may be requested
- If an Org Dept Mass Update is performed, a Funding Mass Update may be requested
- Run public query UW_HR_ORG_DEPARTMENTS for a list of existing divisions and Org Dept's configured in HRS
- HRS Navigation: Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer
- Must have HRS security role UW_UNV_HR_REPORTS to access this query
Step 1: Complete Request FormA. Organizational Department request forms are located on the UWSS Service Operations Human Resources webpage, in the Organizational Department Changes tile.
- https://uwservice.wisconsin.edu/administration/human-resources/ (log-in required)
C. Complete the rest of the PDF form if space allows; if the number of changes exceeds the space available, download and complete the Excel spreadsheet.
- It is preferred that Org Dept information is entered electronically on each form.
- The PDF form must include all three approval signatures.
- The effective date of this funding entry will be the period begin date for the 7A payroll of the fiscal year the Org Dept is being created for. This is typically a June date (e.g., 6/19/22 for FY23 requests). It is expected that the funding source provided on the request form be valid in SFS as of the 7A payroll begin date. If it is not valid as of this date or a funding source is not provided, default funding (128-PRDFLT-1 for most institutions) will be used for the initial entry. When this happens, the institution can update the Department-Level funding at a later date if needed by following instruction in Adding or Changing Department Level Funding for an Organizational Department in HRS.
Step 2: Consider Organizational Department Mass Job Update
- Service Operations has the capability to mass load Organizational Department changes from an Excel template to employee Job records in HRS. If the Org Dept Request results in Org Dept changes for around 100 employees or more, an Org Dept Mass Job Update may be requested.
- If an Org Dept Mass Job Update is requested, the Service Operations HR team will populate an Excel template with active employees and return it to the requesting institution for review and updates.
- The Org Dept Mass Job Update will be performed after the new Org Dept(s) have been created in HRS and after receiving the updated Mass Job Update Excel template from the institution.
- For all Mass Job Updates, Position data will also be updated if employees are in a Position.
- For submitting an Org Dept mass update when creating a new Org Dept is not involved, see Submitting Requests for a Mass Job Update in HRS
Step 3: Consider Mass Funding Update
- A new Appointment-level funding value needs to be added anytime an employee is hired, rehired, transferred, or their Organizational Department changes; see Adding or Changing Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense in HRS
- Service Operations has the capability to mass load Appointment-level funding changes from an Excel template to employee records in HRS. If the Org Dept Request results in Org Dept changes for around 100 employees or more, a Funding Mass Update may be requested.
- For submitting a mass funding update when creating a new Org Dept is not involved, see Submitting Requests for a Mass Funding Update in HRS
Step 4: Submit Email
Once the PDF request form is complete and ready to submit, attach the request form to an email. Also attach the Excel file if there wasn't enough space available on the PDF form for all the changes.
To: Send to the Service Operations Support Team; see Get help from UW-Shared Services Support Team.
Subject: FY[YY] Organizational Department Request [Business Unit]
- Note: UW Madison Org Dept requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org; OHR will review and submit to Service Operations.
Body: In addition to noting the email attachment(s), be sure to note if you are also requesting Service Operations assistance with updating employee Job Data, Position and/or Appointment-level funding records in HRS by use of a mass update process.
Step 5: Reminders
In addition to entering a new Appointment-level funding value, other updates may be needed when an employee's Organizational Department changes
- An employee's Time and Labor Security may need to be updated; see Creating and Maintaining Time and Labor Security in HRS
- An employee's Tenure Home may need to be updated, especially if a tenure granting Org Dept is inactivated; see Entering Tenure Tracking in HRS
- An employee's row-level security is reset and may need to be updated when they have an Action: Data / Position Change and Action Reason: Change Department, or Action: Transfer row in Job Data; see Request and Remove HRS Security Roles in HRS
- Note - an Action: Transfer entry in Job Data will also reset the employee's role security
- When a new Org Dept is created, Workflow for Additional Pay (WfAP) Approvers need to be set up; see Workflow for Additional Pay Approver Maintenance Page in HRS
- HR Report List for HRS
- Adding or Changing Department Level Funding for an Organizational Department in HRS
- Adding or Changing Appointment Level Funding for Employee's Salary Expense in HRS
- Finance Report List in HRS
- Submitting Requests for a Mass Job Update in HRS
- Submitting Requests for a Mass Funding Update in HRS
- Get help from UW-Shared Services Support Team
- Creating and Maintaining Time and Labor Security in HRS
- Entering Tenure Tracking in HRS
- Request and Remove HRS Security Roles in HRS
- Workflow for Additional Pay Approver Maintenance Page in HRS