Topics Map > Applications & Software > Document Management & Collaboration
Overview of Microsoft OneDrive
OVERVIEW:This document provides a general overview of online storage offered with your UW account, Microsoft OneDrive.
Click on the links below to skip directly to a section:
What is it?
You can think of OneDrive as your cloud-based personal drive. It is your individual secure location to store work-related documents in the cloud. It is based on Microsoft SharePoint Online and is included with our Office 365 subscription.
Why should I use it?
In addition to being your individual secure file storage location, OneDrive has features that make it easier for you to access your work documents and share documents with others.
- You can access your work-related documents from anywhere you have an Internet connection without using VPN. Your files are easily accessed on any computer using a browser or on your mobile device using the OneDrive App.
- You can install the OneDrive Sync Client on your computer to synchronize your documents across multiple devices. People who frequently access their OneDrive documents from a computer may find this a convenient way to access their files without using a browser. An OneDrive folder will be created on your local hard drive and contain copies of all of your OneDrive folders and documents. Any changes you make to files in your local OneDrive folder will automatically be synchronized to the cloud and to any other devices that are using the OneDrive Sync Client.
- You have 1 TB of storage available. This is significantly more than what is available on your LAN-based personal drive. (Note: You will want to be sure that you do not exceed the capacity of your computer’s hard drive if you are using the OneDrive Sync Client)
- You can easily share documents or folders with others without sending physical copies of documents through e-mail. Simply use the Share feature to send a link to anyone you would like to have access to the file or folder. Click here for more information about sharing documents.
How do I use it?
There are several ways you can access your OneDrive folder.
- Navigate to http://onedrive.com and sign in using your organization e-mail address and password.
- Navigate to https://www.office.com and sign in with your organizational email address and password to log into your Office 365 portal. Click on the OneDrive icon to view your files.
- Use the OneDrive Sync Client. This client has already been installed on all UW-Shared Services IT-managed Windows computers with Microsoft Office 365. The OneDrive Sync Client is also available for Mac OS.
- Install the OneDrive app on your mobile device. Apps are available for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone from the appropriate app store for your device. While you are at it, you can also install mobile versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
More information about OneDrive is avaialble from Microsoft. Following are some helpful links
- What is OneDrive for Business?
- OneDrive Sync Setup for Windows
- Share documents or folders in Office 365
- OneDrive for Business Downloads (Windows, Android, Mac OS X, iOS, Windows Phone, Xbox)
- Install and set up OneDrive for Business for Android
- Install and set up OneDrive for Business for iPhone and iPad