Topics Map > Applications & Software > Document Management & Collaboration
Setting up the OneDrive File Sync
OverviewThe OneDrive sync client provides an easy way for you to synchronize documents and folders stored in OneDrive to your desktop. Employees will likely find this to be the easiest way to access documents stored in OneDrive from their computer. UW-System Administration provided computers will already have the file sync configured. Please use the following steps if you have the need to manually configure your sync, or if you use a Mac OS device.
- There are limitations and restrictions that apply when syncing oneDrive such as file names and file types. See the following article from Microsoft for more information: OneDrive Sync Limitations and Restrictions
Instructions for Setting Up File Sync for Microsoft Windows 10
- Verify that OneDrive is installed on your computer. You can find it under Start > OneDrive. Contact the IT HelpDesk to have it installed if it is not already installed.
- Log in to the Office 365 portal at https://www.office.com.
- Click on the "OneDrive" icon to open OneDrive.
- Click the "Sync" link on the top of the page.
- An External Protocol Request window may appear if you are using Google Chrome. It is asking permission to launch the OneDrive sync client on your computer. Click Launch Application.
- Sign in using your organization e-mail address and password.
- Click on Sync Now if prompted.
- A "OneDrive – UW System Administration" (UWSA) or "OneDrive – University of Wisconsin Shared Services" (UWSS) folder will be created under your Favorites in Windows Explorer. Any files you have already stored in OneDrive will be copied to this location.
- Your OneDrive sync client is now set up. Any changes you make to items in this folder will automatically be synced back to OneDrive in the cloud.
Instructions for Setting Up File Sync for Mac OS
- Download and install the OneDrive sync app.
- Important: If you are currently using the OneDrive Mac Store app, you must first uninstall it before installing the latest build of the sync app.
- Launch the OneDrive app and sign in using your full e-mail address and password.
- Your OneDrive for Mac sync client is now set up. Any changes you make to items in this folder will automatically be synced back to OneDrive in the cloud.
- OneDrive Sync Limitations and Restrictions
- Download and install the OneDrive sync app