Adding or Maintaining a Person of Interest (POI) Criminal Background Check (CBC) in HRS
A Person of Interest (POI) is an individual with an affiliation to a University of Wisconsin institution but who is not a UW employee, is not paid, and does not need reimbursement of expenses by the institution. POIs may be volunteers, consultants, emeritus faculty, Non-UW Time Approvers for Time and Labor (T&L), Non-UW Interviewers, or other individuals requiring an affiliation with a UW institution other than employer-employee. A Criminal Background Check is required for certain POIs. This document explains how to record a completed Criminal Background Check (CBC) for these individuals, including when or if another CBC is due.
- The individual should already exist in HRS as a Person of Interest before beginning this procedure. They already should have an Empl ID and be assigned a Person of Interest Relationship. If this is not the case, see the following procedure: Adding or Maintaining a Person of Interest (POI) in HRS.
1. HRS Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Organizational Relationships > Person Checklist (or UW POI WorkCenter > HR > Person Checklist)
2. Enter the Empl ID
of the Person of Interest and click Search
; if Empl ID is unknown, search by name.
3. The Person Checklist page will appear with the Checklist Date
autofilled with the current date.
4. Enter UWCBCD
into the Checklist text box or use Magnifying glass to pick from list.
5. As soon as you tab out of the Checklist field, a placeholder checklist item (UWXBCX) will autofill under the Person Checklist Items section.
Change the following under Person Checklist Items section (where x is the one letter business unit code (ex. A for UWMSN, B for UWMIL, etc.):
- UWxBC0: Background Check - Recheck Not Required
- UWxBC2: Background Check - 2-year Recheck
- UWxBC4: Background Check - 4-year Recheck
Change the Status to Completed from the drop down list.
Change the Status Date to the correct CBC Completed Date.
If there are additional CBC dates you are required to add for an additional campus click on the + sign at the end of the row.
6. If the person has a previously completed CBC on record that is the same Item Code for the one you want to add, click the plus (+) button to add a new row.
New Row added
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 for the updated CBC.
To the top
- Click HERE to contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Department or HERE for the UWSS IT HelpDesk if you have any issues with these instructions.
To the top