Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Benefits Administration

Notifying Optum Financial of UW Transfer To/From a State Agency


This procedure outlines the steps to take when an employee is transferring to and/or from another State Agency from the UW.

Process Considerations:

  • Fill out the forms AFTER the last payroll confirm at UW for the employee.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:


Payroll Center A = refers to the previous payroll center the participant is from

Payroll Center B = refers to the new payroll center the participant is transferring to

1. Payroll Center A submits term record on the census file and cancellation record on the enrollment file on time only to Optum Financial. Additional term/cancellation records for the same employee on future files from Payroll Center A will prevent the transfer processing from working properly.

2. Payroll Center A submits a Personnel Transfer Record (PTR) to the new agency that the employee is transferring to.

3. Payroll Center B HR/Payroll/Benefit Staff should reach out to to confirm the enrollment information that Payroll Center A provided to Optum Financial such as coverage type(s), annual election amount(s), and remaining contributions for the participant. Payroll Center B records the remaining contribution amounts on the form as "Annual Employee or Employer Contributions. All transferring enrollment elections must be sent to Optum Financial by Payroll Center B on the enrollment file, in addition to adding the employee to the census file.

4. Payroll Center B provides the applicable enrollment form(s) to the employee to review and complete.

a. HSA Enrollment Form

b. ERA Enrollment Form (includes FSA, Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Elections)

Note: If the employee is eligible to transfer benefits coverage over to the new agency, Payroll Center B should have the employee complete any applicable enrollment forms. If Payroll Center B does not accept a benefit coverage type (such as commuter fringe benefit from Central to UW System), the applicable benefit(s) will be terminated with Payroll Center A. Payroll Center B can only offer new benefits to the employee if it was not offered to the employee at Payroll Center A.

5. Payroll Center B enters the benefit enrollment and contribution elections into their payroll system once the forms have been received and verified.

6. Census and Enrollment data should be sent on the next weekly files by Payroll Center B. The files will override the previous payroll center which allows the employee to be listed under Payroll Center B.

Note: If the total annual election amount under Payroll Center B is less than the amount for Payroll Center A, Optum Finanial's system will ignore the total annual election from Payroll Center B if the updated record is processed by Optum Financial within 14 days from the termination occurring under Payroll Center A; thus, allowing continued coverage without overriding the true total annual election amount.To ensure this process is managed appropriately, it is important timely census and enrollment information is passed to Optum Financial by both Payroll Center A and Payroll Center B.

Additional Resources

Related KBs:

Related Links:

State of Wisconsin Payroll Centers

State of WI Payroll Centers Image

Get Help

Keywordstransfer State Agency FSA Flexible Spending Account HSA Health Savings Account transferring parking transit payroll frequency personnel transfer record PTR ERA employee reimbursment account BN, Benefits BN, Benefits   Doc ID51147
Ownererinn b.GroupUW–Shared Services
Created2015-05-06 15:20:36Updated2024-05-14 10:49:14
SitesUW–Shared Services
Feedback  0   0