Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll
Entering a General Deduction Payline Adjustment on the UW Payline Adjustment Page in HRS
OverviewWhen an employee needs to have an adjustment to their check that is not picked up by the normal payroll processes, a provisioned payroll coordinator can use the Payline Adjustment page to make one of the following general deduction adjustments: refund, take additional amount, or override.
- A Payline Adjustment that has been created and saved is not loaded to an employee's paycheck until it goes through a validation process to ensure accuracy of the deduction or refund.
- Entries made to the custom payline page are loaded to employee paychecks on Monday night of a standard payroll processing week.
- Paylines can be entered for inactive/terminated employees.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- Navigation: Payroll for North America > Payroll Processing USA > Create and Load Paysheets > UW Payline > UW Payline Adjustment Page
- Click the Add a New Value tab.
NOTE: Search for an existing Payline Adjustment using the Find an Existing Value tab
- Enter the relevant information for this new Payline Adjustment.
- Pay Run ID: The Pay Run ID value indicates which pay check this adjustment will appear on.
- Empl ID: The employee's Empl ID is needed.
Empl Rcd Nbr: The empl record number that the deduction adjustment is needed for. The value defaults to 0, however the value may not be accurate. Click on the look up icon to bring up the list of Empl Records for that employee.
- Click the Add button.
- Depending on the security access that is granted one or two tabs will be visible when this page is accessed. For the purpose of Payroll Payline Adjustments, click the Earnings / General Deductions tab.
- At this time, the actual Payline Adjustment can be set up for the employee. If you are entering a General Deduction it is entered in the One-Time General Deduction Data section and the following information is necessary:
- Pay Adj Begin Dt - The date should be the first day of the pay period to which the adjustment applies. For example, if an employee wasn't charged for their parking on the 1B paycheck and it isn't noticed until the 2A paycheck, the Pay Adj Begin Dt should be the first day of the 1B pay period.
- Pay Adj End Dt - This value should be set to the last day of the pay period to which the adjustment applies. For example, if an employee wasn't charged for their parking on the 1B paycheck and it isn't noticed until the 2A paycheck, the Pay Adj End Dt should be the last day of the 1B pay period.
- One Time Code - This value represents the adjustment type.
- Addition is used when the deduction adjustment amount is being taken in addition to the regularly scheduled payroll deduction. On the employee's calculated check, the amount entered on the custom payline page will be added to any amount coming from other sources for the same deduction code.
- Refund is used when an employee is due a refund.
NOTE: You can not enter a refund for a deduction that the employee has never had taken on a previously confirmed pay check (with the exception of several other allowed codes for Shared Services use only)
- Override is used when this deduction is being taken instead of the regularly scheduled deduction. On the employee's calculated check, the amount entered on the custom payline page will overwrite any amount coming from other sources for the same deduction code.
- DedCD - Enter the deduction code of the deduction being adjusted which can be found on the general deduction screen. There are a few deduction codes not available for entry on this page including: tax specific codes, court ordered deductions, UW-Madison parking deduction, and commuter benefits deductions.
- DedClass - This value refers to the tax class of the adjustment and defaults in based upon the deduction code entered. Options include before tax and after tax.
- Amount - Enter the appropriate dollar value that should be applied to the employee's paycheck.
NOTE: Negative values are not accepted in this field. If the one time code of refund is used the system will automatically convert the positive amount to a negative take to refund the employee.
- Root Cause - The Root Cause value is designed to provide information as to why this additional deduction or refund is necessary. Choose an option from the drop down list that best describes the reason for the adjustment. If the "See Comments" reason is chosen, a free-form comment is required to be entered in the Comments field on the Requestor Details tab.
- PSHUP Status - Upon saving, this value will be set to Pending, and will stay as such until the system tries to add the adjustment to the employee's paycheck. When the payline is loaded to the employee's paycheck the status field will be updated to reflect success or failure. For more information about monitoring payline statuses, see KB Running Payline Details and PSHUP Load Report in HRS
- If another deduction adjustment for a different deduction code is needed for the pay run ID, click the plus sign at the end of the row.
- Once all Payline Adjustment rows have been added, click the Save button.
- Running Payline Details and PSHUP Load Report in HRS
- Entering an Earnings Payline Adjustment on the UW Payline Adjustment Page in HRS
- Maintaining Employee General Deductions in HRS