Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Benefits Administration
Using On-Demand for the Annual Benefit Enrollment Period in HRS
OverviewDuring the Open Enrollment period, Benefit Administrators at institutions, divisions, and departments will use On-Demand Event Maintenance to enter elections based on paper applications that they receive from their employees during the Annual Benefit Enrollment period. It is critical that all information for an employee is reviewed and updated if needed on the Person pages, Benefits Personal Data pages, and the Dependents/Beneficiary pages.
- ALL ANNUAL BENEFIT ENROLLMENT ENTRY is to be completed in HRS by October 30, 2020.
- If possible, please have the employee use Self Service on line for changes in enrollments. Benefit Administrators may NOT use the OE Event to make elections on the employee's behalf. To process manual paper applications, you will need to add an ADM Event effective 01/01/2021 and follow the procedure steps below.
- Certain benefit enrollments and changes are not completed using an OE Event. These include: Wisconsin Deferred Compensation (WDC), all Tax Sheltered Annuity Plans (TSA):
- New WDC and/or TSA enrollments will require the employee to complete a Salary Reduction Agreement form. The Benefit Administrator will complete the enrollment by adding an SAV Event - for more information, please reference Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance in HRS . Employees who have active enrollments in the system can update their election amounts via MyUW System portal.
1. Navigate to the Person Data pages: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Modify a Person. Enter the employee's Employee's ID (Empl_ID) number and click the Search button. Verify that the employee's home address is up to date.
2. If the address is not up to date, notify the HR Administrator at your institution to obtain the appropriate paperwork and make the appropriate changes on this screen.3. Navigate to the Benefits Personal Data pages: Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Benefits Personal Data to verify the information is up to date. Enter the Employee's Empl_ID and click the Search button or the Enter key.
4. If the employee's spouse or domestic partner is also a State of Wisconsin employee, make sure the appropriate checkbox under Coordination of Benefits is checked. If employee has Other Health Coverage in addition to State Group Health with the University of Wisconsin, enter the Other Health Insurance company's Name, Policy Number, and Group number in the Coordination of Benefits section. The 'Yes' and 'No' drop down box is a required field.
5. Verify that the employee's marital status and date are both correct. If not, make corrections on this page. (Information updated here will automatically update the Modify A Person data page as well.)
6. Under the Benefits Personal Data - Date Sensitive section, choose the appropriate value of 'Yes' or 'No'. If the value you enter is 'Yes', enter information about the employee's Medicare coverage.
NOTE: All information entered on this page is transmitted electronically to Employee Trust Funds (ETF) on a daily basis to assist with Coordination of Benefits efforts. This information is critical so claims are paid both timely and accurately.7. Navigate to Benefits > Employee/Dependent Information > Update Dependent Beneficiary page, enter the Employee's ID (Empl_ID) number and click the Search button.
8. Verify that all dependents' names are spelled correctly and are present in the system. If you need to add a Dependent/Beneficiary, follow steps outlined in Adding and Updating Dependents in HRS .
9. Click on the Address Tab and verify that the dependent's address and phone number are correct. If you need to make a change to an address, follow steps outlined in Adding and Updating Dependents in HRS.
10. Click on the Profiles tab. Verify the dependent's Date of Birth, Medicare, Other Health Insurance coverage, Gender, and Marital Status. All dependents should have a social security number entered as soon as this information is known.
- This information is required by the vendors to determine the eligibility of a dependent, whether the employee is subject to any imputed income tax for their dependents, and to ensure timely and accurate claims payments.
11. Be sure to verify that the relationship of the dependent is accurate as of 01/01/2021.
- If the dependent is a grandchild, you must indicate which dependent child is the parent.
12. Navigate to Benefits > Manage Automated Enrollment > Events > On-Demand Event Maintenance
13. Enter the employee's Empl ID and click the Search button. You will be directed to the employee's On Demand Event Maintenance screen.
14. Schedule / Prepare the 01/01/2021 ADM Event. (If an ADM Event does not yet exist for this employee, follow directions under: Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table in HRS.)
- The employee's Open Enrollment (OE) Event should have a status of Normal - Closed.
- Verify that all Events leading up to the OE Event have been processed through to Finalized before processing the ADM Event.
15. Click on the Election Entry button to begin making selections for the employee.
16. Select an Enrollment Code of "Change Benefit Plan" and an Enrollment Reason of "It's Your Choice Enrollment." Enter the application received by date and click the Apply Enrollment Defaults button.
17. Only those Benefit Plans the employee is eligible to enroll in will appear in the Event. To make a change to a Benefit Plan, click on the magnifying glass for that plan and choose the appropriate Option Code.
- For assistance in choosing the appropriate Coverage Code to use when an employee is adding or removing dependents, refer to Using Health Insurance Coverage Codes and Relationships in HRS
18. Add or remove dependents:
- If the employee is removing a dependent from coverage, click the minus ( – ) sign for that dependent.
- If the employee is adding a dependent, you must add the dependent through Update Dependents / Beneficiaries and then reprocess this Event back to Assign Benefit Program. (For assistance on Reprocessing Events, follow KB 58136.)
20. Click the Validate Finalize button to complete the process. Be sure to verify all plans by following: Review Benefit Enrollments in HRS .
- Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table in HRS
- Adding and Updating Dependents in HRS
- Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance in HRS
- Using Health Insurance Coverage Codes and Relationships in HRS
- Reprocessing Events Using On Demand Event Maintenance in HRS
- Review Benefit Enrollments in HRS