Hiring a TAM Applicant from Manage Hires in HRS
Once an applicant has been prepared for hire within TAM, the applicant gets pushed to the Manage Hires page within HR. At this point, an HR Administrator completes the hire.
IMPORTANT! Prior to hiring the applicant into HRS, check if the employee already has an Empl ID by searching HRS, see Searching for Existing Person in HRS.
- The way an applicant is documented in TAM will determine what type of hire they appear as. (i.e. someone who has indicated that they were a previous employee will have a Type of Hire as Rehire). If the available list for Type of Hire is incorrect, a TAM recruiter will need to go back and update the Applicant's data in TAM.
- After the hire is completed and saved in HR, TAM will automatically close the Job Opening. The dispositions of those candidates that were not hired will remain in the last status they held upon completion of hire.
- For the Posting of Intent to File a Labor Certification, the configured reject reasons will NOT satisfy the US Department of Labor list of why other candidates were not selected for the job. Please continue to recreate an acceptable list during the green card process. Please reference Posting the Intent to File a Labor Certification in TAM for the steps to take in TAM.
- To process transactions on the Manage Hires page, users must have one of the following security roles:
- HR Administrator (Update HR)
- HR Manage Hires for Recruiting
- HR TBH HR Admin Approval Upd
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
Instructions for Using Manage Hires Page
- HRS Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Manage Hires.
- From the Select Transactions Where drop down select Source.
- Select Recruiting Solutions from the Equals drop down list.
- Click the Refresh button.
- Click on the applicant's name.
- Verify or select Type of Hire.
NOTE: The type of hire and available options in the drop down will depend upon the Applicant Type in TAM. If the appropriate Type of Hire is not shown, the applicant must be updated in TAM, See KB Modifying an Applicant's Information in TAM Updating an Applicant's Type.
- External - New = Hire will be the only available Type of Hire
- External - Previous Employee = Rehire will be the only available Type of Hire
- Internal - Employee = Hire should be used if they are staying in their current active job and adding a new employment instance (Concurrent)
Internal - Employee = Transfer should be used if they are moving from one position to another with the same active empl record number
- Verify or update Desired Start Date - this is the date used for the effective date in Job Data.
- Verify that the Empl ID is correct. A message will appear below the Empl ID if the number was verified during the recruitment process.
Important! Search HRS first. See KBs: Searching for Existing Person in HRS
- If no Empl ID appears for an applicant type of "External - Previous Employee", search for the Empl ID and enter the number in the Empl ID field.
- In the Org Instance area
In the Employment Record area
- Org Instance stand for Organizational Instance (OI); an OI is assigned to every Empl Rcd
- When performing a Hire (or Transfer), the OI automatically defaults to "0", even if the Empl Rcd is not "0"
- The OI number must match the Empl Rcd number created in step 10; manually change to OI number to match the Empl Rcd, if needed
- In general, Internal candidates are those that would potentially need updating
Create New Assignment radio button will be selected if the Type of Hire is Hire; this creates a new employment instance for this applicant.
the system will default in the next available Empl Record Number.
- Use Existing Assignment radio button will be selected if the Type of Hire is Rehire or Transfer.
- Select the employment record from the drop down that the Rehire or Transfer should occur.
Internal - Employee - Complete the Transfer / Concurrent Hire
- Click the View/Edit Person hyperlink to review and update Person data as necessary.
NOTE: TAM data will NOT overwrite existing HR Military Status or disability data. If no HR data exists for the employee, TAM will populate them.
NOTE: Once you have made the updates, click the OK button to return to the Manage Hires Detail page to continue process.
- Click the Add Job button to create a new employment instance (Adding an Employment Instance (Non-Madison) in HRS) or Transfer (Maintaining Workforce - Transfers in HRS) for this applicant, and you will be taken to Job Data.
NOTE: Some job data will auto populate based upon information in the recruitment process.
To the top
- Click HERE to contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Department or HERE for the UWSS IT HelpDesk if you have any issues with these instructions.