The hiring process can begin after the applicant's disposition is set to Offer Accepted. The system sets the applicant's disposition to Ready for Hire when you submit the Hire request, and the HR representative can then finalize the hire using the Manage Hires page.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
1. HRS must be searched before the applicant is moved into the Prepare for Hire status to verify whether the applicant has ever been an employee of any UW institution.
- Follow the steps in Searching for Existing Person in HRS to validate whether the applicant has ever had an Empl ID assigned in HRS or Legacy systems.
- If the applicant has an Empl ID assigned and...
- ... the applicant is a currently active UW employee with an Empl ID assigned in HRS, ensure Applicant Type is set to Employee and an Empl ID is entered. This is necessary in order to allow the hire to be processed as a Transfer, when appropriate.
- ... the applicant is a former UW employee with an Empl ID assigned in HRS, ensure the Personal Information section of the person's job application has Former Employee set to Yes. This is necessary in order to allow the hire to be processed as a Rehire, when appropriate.
- ... the applicant is a former UW employee and only has an Empl ID assigned in Legacy systems but not in HRS, ensure the Personal Information section of the applicant's job application has Former Employee set to No. This is necessary to force the hire to be processed as a new hire in HRS.
- Refer to Modifying an Applicant's Information in TAM for instructions on updating this data.
Ensure these values are properly set before moving forward. Incorrect values may prevent the applicant's hire from transferring to the HR modules of HRS, requiring manual job and person data entry.
2. Navigate to the applicant, either through Search Job Opening or Search Applications. See KB Searching for Job Opening or By Application in TAM or Recruiting Home Page in TAM for additional information.
3. Click Other Actions > Recruiting Actions > Prepare for Hire
4. Use the Prepare for Hire page to view and enter hiring information and to submit the request to hire.
- Any job information that can be pulled from the job opening is already prefilled. You can change the values, but either a Job Code or Position Number is required.
- The applicant's disposition must be Offer Accepted before you can begin Prepare for Hire.
- If the Prepare for Hire page is greyed out or unchangeable, this
typically indicates the hire has already been submitted to HR and
cannot be resubmitted.
5. You must enter or edit the following fields:
- Working Title, must be 30 characters or less
- Criminal Background Check Date, if applicable
- Type of Hire - If the correct option is not in the drop-down list, then make sure the applicant information is properly set. Do not submit the request to HR until the applicant information is properly set. Otherwise, the Manage Hires process may not be able to be used to process the transaction.
- Hire - used the first time a person is hired into HRS; also used for new Concurrent Jobs/new Employment Instances.
- Rehire - used if the employee had a break-in-service and a termination row exists in HRS. The applicant must be indicated as a Former Employee in the Application. See KB Modifying an Applicant's Information in TAM.
- Transfer - used when an employee is
leaving one job to take a different job with no break-in-service. The applicant must be indicated as an internal applicant with their Employee ID entered. See KB Modifying an Applicant's Information in TAM.
- Start Date
- Employee ID - Enter the applicant's Empl ID if one was found in HRS or Legacy systems.
IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE:
- The Verify Employee ID functionality can be used to search HRS for a potential existing Employee ID. However, this ONLY searches HRS. Also follow the steps at Searching for Existing Person in HRS to search HRS and Legacy systems to avoid creating an additional Employee ID for a former employee.
- The Send Offer Letter to HR check box can be used to send the Job Offer letter (contract letter, appointment letter) to the person completing the hire. This will ONLY work if a letter was uploaded in the Prepare Job Offer component for the applicant being hired.
6. Click the Save & Submit Request to HR button. Once this button is selected, a message displays that the hire request was successfully submitted.
- If the Save & Submit Request to HR button is not visible, then the applicant's disposition sequence has not been changed in the correct order. This will prohibit the applicant from being sent to the Manage Hires queue. This can be changed by manually updating the applicant's dispositions. The correct order is:
- Offer (can use the Other Action/Recruiting Action of Prepare Job Offer, or manually change the applicant's disposition)
- Prepare for Hire
7. Note that the applicant's disposition is now set to Ready to Hire or Ready.
8. After the hire is completed and saved in HR, TAM will close the Job Opening. The dispositions of those candidates that were not hired will remain in the status held at the time of the hire.