Entering Craft Worker Vacation Elections in HRS


This process allows University Staff Craft Workers (Empl_Class CP) to manually elect, with a corresponding adjustment to their hourly rate, an increased vacation allocation of either 140 hours (17.5 days), or 180 (22.5 days). A Craft Worker makes this election upon hire and prior to January 1 of each calendar year. This will affect the employee's Income Continuation Insurance and amount of State Group Life Insurance, the final average earnings for computing Retirement benefits, and also the value of the Sick Leave Account upon retirement. Crafts Workers are skilled journey persons in the building trades.

Process Considerations:

You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:


  1. For the annual vacation election process, UWSS Service Operations will send a notice to each campus and Madison division that employs Craft Workers reminding them of the upcoming annual vacation election.
  2. The units will then provide each eligible employee with an individual vacation election form for the next calendar year.
  3. Once filled out by the employee, the form must be returned back to the unit office.

  4. The unit office determines the appropriate rate based on the vacation allocation and updates the employee's compensation rate,  if needed.

  5. To update the rate, navigate to Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data

  6. Enter the Employee ID and the Employee Record Number next to the appropriate field and click Search.

  7. On the Work Location tab, click on the + toward the top right corner to Add a Row.

  8. Change the Effective Date to January 1

  9. Change the Action to Pay Rate Change.

  10. Change the Reason to Prevailing Rate Setting.

  11. Click on the Compensation Tab towards the top right corner.

  12. Click on the Amounts tab under the Payment Components section of the screen, if it is not already displayed.

  13. Change the Rate.

  14. Click the Calculate Compensation button.

  15. Click Save.

Additional Resources

Related KBs:

Related Links:

Get Help

  • Click HERE to contact UW Shared Services - Service Operations Department or HERE for the UWSS IT HelpDesk if you have any issues with these instructions.
To the top