Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration
Adding Visa Data (Cross reference to International Tax) in HRS
OverviewThis document explains the process for storing Visa and Citizenship information for foreign national hires. This information, in conjunction with other person and job data information, will automatically feed to the Glacier International Tax system. The Glacier system will notify the new hire to complete information within that system to determine if eligible for tax treaty benefits. Once a determination has been made, the Glacier system will update the job data and payroll pages with the necessary information.
- Foreign Nationals may be taxed at a higher rate if the relevant information is not added to HRS or completed in Glacier by the employee.
- JEMS hires: When foreign national employees on the Madison campus are interfaced from JEMS into PeopleSoft, their Visa Type is defaulted to FNL as a result of a corresponding checkbox being populated in JEMS. Having Visa Type default to FNL enables the Glacier output program to include the employees in the file that is uploaded from JEMS to Glacier. Once the correct visa information has been entered into Glacier, it will be interfaced back into HRS.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- HRS Navigation: Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Citizenship > Identification Data
- Enter the Empl ID or Name and Last Name of the employee.
- Click the Search button.
- If necessary, select employee from the list.
- On the Citizenship/Passport tab, enter the employee’s country of citizenship or select using the lookup icon in the Country field.
- In the Passport Information section, enter the employee's Passport Number into the field.
- Enter the country which issued the passport in the Country field. Or, use the lookup icon to select from the list.
- If the person has multiple citizenship, enter a row by clicking on the plus icon to the right of Citizenship/Passport section. Repeat steps above to enter the country and passport information.
- Click the Visa/Permit Data tab.
- The Country value should be left as USA since UW-related immigration documents originate in the US.
- Enter Visa Type (i.e., J1, H1B, etc) or select from the lookup list. If you do not know the current visa type, enter dummy visa code of FNL.
- The Effective Date should be the date you are entering the visa information into HRS.
- Use the drop-down list to select the Purpose of visa based on the information listed on the DS-2019, I-20, I-797, etc.
- Use the Status drop-down to select Granted as employee needs to be in valid visa status with work authorization.
- The Status Date should be the beginning date on the immigration document (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, etc.) if entered by HR. When populated by Glacier interface, Status Date will be the individual's U.S. Entry Date.
- The Expiration Date should be the end date on the current immigration document (I-20, DS-2019, I-797, EAD card, etc.).
- The remaining fields do not need a value when populated by HR.
- Click the Save button.
- Running the Passport/Visa Exp Report (SQR Report) in HRS
- Glacier Account Requirements for Foreign Nationals on UW Payroll in HRS