Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Benefits Administration
Entering Benefits Billing Enrollments in HRS
OverviewThis procedure explains how to activate and inactivate employee benefit enrollments in Benefits Billing in HRS.
- Employees can only be enrolled into Benefits Billing for benefit plans in which they have elected. Refer to Review Benefit Enrollments in HRS.
- See eligible plans below.
- Benefits Billing needs to be set up for employees who fall under one of the following conditions:
- Employee or department notifies benefits administrator of a pending leave and has submitted the LOA Checklist.
- Employee has insufficient earnings to cover benefit premiums.
- Prepay was not taken correctly for short work break.
- Employee was laid off and elected to use sick leave credit to continue their state group health.
- Employee missed premium deduction due to termination/retirement.
- Each month the Benefits Billing statements are produced and mailed by UW-Shared Services.
- Benefits Billing payments are due by the 10th of the following month of which statements are created and mailed.
- If payment is not received by the end of the following month, the insurance(s) will be terminated. Refer to Reviewing the Benefits Billing Delinquency Report in HRS.
State Group Life (SGL) and Income Continuation Insurance (ICI)
- Premium waivers are allowed in the case of a Medical LOA.
- The employee must continue to pay their monthly premiums until a decision has been made on the waiver.
- If payment is not made, the employee will forfeit any benefits that may be approved through the premium waiver.
- If the waiver has been approved, then the institution is responsible for entering the update into HRS through an ADM event.
- When the waiver has ended, the institution is responsible for removing the waiver in HRS through an ADM event.
- Benefits Billing enrollment may stay active during the waiver period
- The system will generate a charge of $0.00 if the premium waiver enrollment is correctly updated in HRS.
Individual and Family Group Life Insurance (I&F)
- Premium waivers are allowed in the case of a Medical LOA and a 6 month waiting period must be met.
- If the employee terminated prior to meeting the 6 month waiting period, then the employee will need to continue to pay premiums until the waiting period has been met.
- If the employee has terminated, work with UW System Human Resources. UWSHR will work with UWSS to update HRS and set up Benefits Billing charge(s).
- After a decision on the waiver has been received, HRS will be updated by UWSS, along with any premium adjustments as needed.
University Insurance Association Life Insurance (UIA)
- Annual $38.40 deduction for eligible FA/AS/LI employees taken in December.
- Institutions should not create UIA charges in Benefits Billing.
- UWSHR and UWSS oversee the eligibility verification process along with any enrollments into Benefits Billing as needed.
Worker's Compensation (WC)
- If there is a delay in the determination of a claim, the employee will only be eligible for employer share towards SGH and ICI for an additional 3 months.
- If the claim is later approved, after the additional 3 months of employer share, the employee will be reimbursed the premium difference.
- If the employee selects to lapse coverage while the determination is being made, they will not be able to reinstate coverage until the LOA is deemed over.
Benefits Billing Reasons
Benefits Billing Enrollment Effective Date Chart
Instructions for EnrollingBefore setting up the enrollment, review the following information:
- Review Arrears to verify no payroll deductions were missed and sent to arrears. If an arrears balance has been created, contact UWSS to review and adjust.
- Payroll for North America > Periodic Payroll Events USA > Balance Reviews >Arrears
- Review Current Benefits Summary to verify the employee's benefit enrollments. Use this screen to key the Benefits Billing enrollments.
- Benefits > Review Employee Benefits > Current Benefits Summary.
- Review the last deductions taken to verify which billing periods to set up using the Review Paycheck query (UW_BN_REVIEW_PAYCHECK_PUB). A ticket to UWSS BERT Team may be created to request a full reconciliation.
- Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer > Search for "UW_BN_REVIEW_PAYCHCK_PUB"
Note: The effective date will default to today's date. This will tell you that the employee has never previously been enrolled in Benefits Billing.If the employee has previous enrollments, find the plan type you want to enroll by searching across the top. Press the plus button "+" in the Billing Enrollment Details section to add a new row to the desired plan type.
Note: Once the row is saved, you will not be able to edit or delete. The minus button "-" is how a benefit plan is removed on the initial set up for an incorrect benefit plan, before saving.3. Leave the COBRA Event ID at "0".
9. The rate drop down box should be updated to one of the following:
- Employee Rate = Charge the employee the normal premium (employee share only).
- Total Rate = Charge the employee the full premium (employee share plus employer share).
Note: Some benefit plans do not have an employer share therefore the total rate will be used as the rate drop down. (i.e. vison insurance or dental insurance).
Note: A new row will need to be added to update the rate drop down for plans such as State Group Health and Income Continuation Insurance for employees on a LOA that goes past 3 months and the employee loses the Employer share premium.
- Uncheck the Percent Calculation box.
- Check the Flat Amount box.
- Fill in the specific amount to be billed for the employee.
- Check the Employer Amount box.
- Fill in the specific amount to be billed for the employer.
11. Repeat the above steps to enroll the employee in any additional benefit plans that need Benefits Billing.
- If the employee is on a LOA without pay and will be on LOA for more than 3 months, enter a new row after the initial enrollment row to change from 100% Employee Rate to 100% Total Rate for the 4th month of LOA. This ensures the employee will be billed correctly from the initial set up.
Note: Follow the policy guidelines for C Basis Academic Staff relating to summer recess.
- When setting up past billing periods, it is suggested to allow the system to create old charges during the monthly Benefits Billing processing. The system will create charges back to the last "inactive" billing period as necessary and will avoid creating inaccurate charges.
- Once the enrollment is saved, and it's later deemed that the enrollment needs correction, you will have to submit a ticket to UWSS to make the update. (i.e. Enrollment initially set up effective 6/1/2020 and determined several months later that the enrollment should be 5/1/2020)
Instructions for Inactivating1. Navigate to: Benefits > Benefits Billing > Manage Account and Balance > Enroll in Billing enter the EMPLID and search.
2. Search for the benefit plan needing to be inactivated and click the plus button "+" in the Deduction Calculation per Billing Period section.
3. Leave the COBRA Event ID default at "0".
4. Enter the Effective Date (mm/dd/yyyy). The effective date should be the first of the month after the last charge was paid in Benefits Billing. (i.e. the last billing period billed is 2006, the effective date would be 7/1/2020)
5. Change the Billing Status to "Inactive".
6. Leave the Billing Reason to what it was initially enrolled.
7. Uncheck the Percent Calculation box. This will remove the % amount.
8. If using the Flat Amount section, uncheck the Flat Amount box and Employer Amount box.
9. Click Save.
- Reviewing Benefits Billing Charges and Payments in HRS
- Review Benefit Enrollments in HRS
- Plan Types, Benefit Plans, and Payroll Deductions Job Aid in HRS
- Reviewing Benefits Arrears Balances in HRS
- Viewing the Current Benefits Summary in HRS
- Running the Review Paycheck Query in HRS
- Reviewing the Benefits Billing Delinquency Report in HRS
- Printing a Manual Benefits Billing Invoice in HRS
- Setting Up Benefits Billing Manual Charges in HRS
- Entering Benefits Billing Enrollments in HRS
- Reprinting Benefits Billing Reprint Invoices in Cypress
- Requesting Benefits Billing Refunds in HRS
- UWSS Benefits Billing Landing Page
- Leave of Absence Employee Benefits
- Employee Benefit Checklist for LOA
- Military Leave
- Sick Leave Policies
- Layoff Policies
- Disability and Replacement Income
- Workers Compensation Impacts
- Benefits Billing Delinquency Process Job Aid