Using Cisco Jabber As Your Phone
This document will show you how to use Cisco Jabber to control your desk phone from your computer.
The soft phone option, named Jabber, can be installed on any Windows or Mac computer, as well as Android and Apple mobile devices.
Install on a Windows 10 Desktop or Laptop Computer
- Open the Software Center on your PC by clicking in the "Search" text box on the lower left of your desktop and typing "Software Center". Click on the "Software Center" icon when it pops up in the menu to open.
- Locate the "Cisco Jabber" application in the "Applications" tab. Click the icon and then click on the "Install" button to begin the installation.
Install on an Apple Desktop or Laptop Computer
- If you are using an Apple (Mac) computer you can download the Jabber client directly from Cisco by navigating to https://www.webex.com/downloads/jabber.html in a web browser.
- The webpage will automatically detect your computer's operating system and present you with the correct download.
- Download and install the Jabber program.
Install on a Mobile Device
If you have a mobile device, you can install the Jabber client from your deviceâs app store. Note that you will not be able to log in to the app before completing the steps below:
- Download and install the Cisco Jabber application from your deviceâs app store.
- Submit a ticket to the helpdesk requesting a mobile device profile for Jabber. Include the type of device the app will be used on (Android, iPhone, iPad).
- Once the ticket has been resolved you may log in to the Jabber app on your mobile device.
Bypass Your Desk Phone and Route Calls Directly to Your Computer
To use your computer as your primary phone and set all calls to skip your desk phone and go directly to your computer follow the steps below:
- Locate and click on the Jabber icon on the taskbar in the lower right of your desktop.
- On the bottom of the Jabber window, locate the "Call Settings" icon and click on it.
- In the popup window use the dropdown beneath "Device for calls" to select "Use my computer".
- Click HERE to contact UW Shared Services or HERE for the Office of Technology Services (OTS) Helpdesk if you have any issues with these instructions.