Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Time and Labor
Elapsed Hourly Integrated Timesheets in HRS
OverviewThis document will explain how an employee and/or manager enters time and absence into the elapsed hourly integrated timesheet. This timesheet is generally assigned to employees that record a quantity of hours for each shift and may or may not have a prepopulated schedule assignment.
- "Exception" time reporters are generally assigned a default schedule which will automatically be processed by time administration to payable time without needing to click the Submit button on the timesheet.
- "Positive" time reporters generally do not have a schedule assignment. A default schedule may be assigned at the Employee level but this type of timesheet will require physical submission in order for scheduled hours to be processed for approval.
- Both Exception and Positive leave eligible elapsed time reporters will use their elapsed hourly integrated timesheet to record worked hours and absence takes.
Instructions for Reporting Time Basics1. To access or review the timesheet or for a general overview of timesheet fields refer to TL - Accessing a Timesheet (Employee & Manager).
3. Enter the quantity of hours that the employee worked in the Quantity field on the appropriate day(s)
After Time Administration runs, the hours will be available for approval.
Instructions for Removing Rows
- If using the (-) button to delete:
- If using "Select for Delete"
2. If this completes your timesheet adjustments, click Submit.
Instructions for Adding Rows1. If multiple rows are needed for a single day (i.e. Multiple TRCs are necessary, partial day absences) add a row to that day in the timesheet by clicking the (+) button on the appropriate row.
2. A blank row is inserted for the day.
3. You may now enter additional Time/Absence codes as necessary.
- Multiple TRCs: In the example below, the employee worked their scheduled hours and was then on standby for 4 additional hours.
Employees with Default Schedules1. If the employee has a default schedule assignment, upon accessing the timesheet, the Scheduled Hours total be reflective of the schedule assignment. The quantity of hours will also be pre-populated in the quantity and the "Sched Hrs" column will display the total scheduled hours each day.
2. Exception time reporters with a default schedule assignment only need their timesheet updated/submitted if they deviate from their scheduled hours.
Overriding Default Scheduled HoursIf the employee did not work a scheduled day, it is necessary to clear the hours from that day in the timesheet. To clear the hours from a scheduled day:
1. Click the delete (-) button on the row for which you need to remove the scheduled hours. You may also check the "Select for Delete" box(es) for the row(s) you need to remove scheduled hours and then click "Delete Selected Rows".
2. To override the scheduled hours, enter a "0" in the quantity column. Click Submit.
Adding a Full Day Absence TakeWhether the employee has a schedule or not, an absence take can be entered from the timesheet by selecting the appropriate take from the Time/Absence Code dropdown on the row associated with the date of the absence.
1. Select the appropriate Time/Absence Code from the dropdown on the row associated with the date of the absence.
2. If the employee has a default schedule, the quantity will automatically populate with the number of scheduled hours. If the employee does not have a default schedule, enter the number of hours to be associated with the absence take.
Adding a Partial Day Absence Take1. Add a row to the day associated with the partial-day absence by clicking the (+) button.
3. Enter the appropriate number of hours associated with the absence take in the quantity field.
4. If the employee had already submitted time or has a default schedule assignment, update the quantity of hours worked.
5. Click Submit.
Deleting an Absence from the TimesheetYou may remove a previously requested/approved absence take by following the procedure to delete the row associated with the absence from the timesheet. The changes will flow into the UWS Absence and Absence Event pages accordingly.
1. To delete an absence delete the row with the absence from the timesheet using either the (-) button or Select for Delete/Delete Select Rows function.
2. Enter a quantity of hours if necessary or 0.00 if the employee did not report to work that day.
3. Click Submit.
Updating an Absence Type or QuantityUpdates made to absence types or quantity of hours can be made from the integrated timesheet. These changes will automatically be updated on the UWS Absence and Absence Event pages.
1. To update the absence type, choose the appropriate take from the Time/Absence Code dropdown.
2. To update the absence quantity, enter the appropriate number of hours associated with the absence take in the Quantity field.
Status IconsStatus icons on the Punch Hourly Integrated Timesheet indicate the stage of processing reported or payable time is in. Access the legend of status icons by hovering over the "Status" link. You may also hover over the icon itself to view the description.
Viewing Payable Time Detail for a DayWhen time is first submitted on the timesheet, it is considered to be "Reported Time". Following the Time Administration process, the reported time is converted to "Payable Time." Details of daily payable time can be viewed by clicking on the Date link for the day you wish to view. Prior to payable time generating the link is not available.
Reported time is submitted. Time Admin has not yet processed the reported time to payable time.
Following Time Admin, payable time is generated and the date becomes a hyperlink. Clicking the hyperlink triggers a pop up display of payable time detail for that day.
For more information on the Time Administration process including when it runs each day refer to TL- Time Administration.
Earning Comp Time for FLSA Exempt Employees
Using Comp Time
An employee's comp time balance can be viewed on the Compensatory Time tab in the summary section of the timesheet. The comp time balance is reflective of what is available as of the start of the Calendar Period when viewing the entire period, the start of the week when viewing by week, or as of a specific day when viewing by day.
1. To use comp time hours, select the CTUSE time reporting code from the Time/Absence code dropdown and enter the quantity of hours to be used.
Comp Time Error
If the employee has no comp time balance or the amount of the comp time usage exceeds the comp time balance, an error message will occur.
In the error message shown, the employee is trying to use one more hour of comp time than is available in their balance. (Note: This error is a bit misleading because the employee is trying to use too many hours, however the comp time balance may not go negative).
Some departments may use additional time reporting features such as Taskgroup and Task Profile ID. These elements are accessed by clicking the "Additional Elements" tab. For more information on Taskgroup/Task Profile IDs refer to TL - Taskgroup/Task Profile Reference Setup.
Once expanded, enter the desired information into the appropriate fields. You may choose for the additional elements section to remain expanded each time you access the timesheet. To default the expanded timesheet view, put a checkmark in the "Show all columns by default" box prior to submitting time on the timesheet.
Copy from Previous
Depending on the timesheet view you are using, the Copy from Previous feature allows you to copy reported time and absences from the previous period, week, or day. If an employee works the same or similar hours from week to week, this feature saves the amount of manual entry necessary to complete the timesheet. Once time is copied, you may then make any additional necessary changes before submitting.
In the below example, time is reported for the first week of the period, with the "View By" set to Week view. On Friday the employee used 8 hours of vacation.
1. To copy the same hours into the next week, click the "Next Week" link.
2. On the blank week, click "Copy from Previous Week"
3. All reported time and absences from the prior week will populate.
View By Day:
View by Calendar Period:
Reviewing Absence Balances
NOTE: More information about each column can be found by clicking on the blue i (information icon)
- Posted Leave Balances show balance totals as of the last completed payroll (Available Balance).
- Projected Balances shows all absences that have been entered, approved and run through overnight processing, for the current and/or future pay periods.
- Beginning Balance – balance as of the end of the last pay period processed.
- Current Usage – any requests entered for current pay period that have been approved and overnight processing has run.
- Current Balance – beginning balance minus current usage.
- Future Usage - any requests entered for future pay period(s) that have been approved and overnight processing has run.
- Future Balance - beginning balance minus current usage and future usage.
Banked Leave Conversion
2. Fill in the number of hours you would like to convert and payout based upon the employee's eligibility statement.
Overtime for FLSA Exempt Employees
Night and Weekend Differentials for FLSA Exempt Employees
Employees with Multiple Jobs
If your employee search was for one employee who has multiple jobs, click the Next Empl/Job hyperlink at the top of the timesheet to go to the employee's previous or next Empl Rcd. If you employee search was for a group of employees, click the Next Empl/Job hyperlink to move to the next employee in your group selection. (Note: The group of employees retruned in the selection results will be sorted alphabetically by last name).
The timesheet retains the time period from the previous screen.
Employees with Alternate Work Week Schedules
Work on Legal Holiday
- Accessing a Timesheet (Employee & Manager) in HRS
- Rounding of Reported Time to Payable Time in HRS
- Creating and Maintaining Time and Labor Security in HRS
- Review of Time Administration in HRS
- Entering Compensatory Time Payout upon Termination in HRS
- Setting Up Taskgroups and Task Profiles in HRS
- Entering Time When an Employee Works on a Legal Holiday in HRS