Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll

Refunding Benefits Using an Off-Cycle Payroll in HRS


When an employee does not have a correct deduction taken from his or her check and can't wait until the next on-cycle payroll you can request a benefit refund off-cycle. This should only be done in a case of hardship.

Process Considerations:

  • On-cycle refunds should always be done if the employee can wait until the next payroll is processed.  To do a benefit refund on-cycle see KB # Creating a Benefits Payline Adjustment in HRS . This DOES NOT apply to TSA or WDC deductions.  They must be done off-cycle as the file created doesn't process negative amounts (refunds) on-cycle. 
  • Only UWSS Service Operations staff has access to the Benefit Refund Form therefore you will need to open a ticket to initiate a refund.
  • Benefit refunds will follow the same guidelines as other off-cycle processing.  
  • Requests must be received by noon Tuesday to be processed on Wednesday.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:


  1. Send an email to UW Shared Services.  Please include the following information.
    • Name of employee 
    • Empl ID of employee
    • Benefit code
    • Amount of refund 
    • Pay Run the error occurred on
  2. A ticket will be set up with the benefit refund form attached.
  3. The ticket will be forwarded to the payroll team and will be processed.
  4. You will be notified when the off-cycle payment has been processed.

  Warning!  Watch for any benefits retro that may be created on-cycle so a duplicate refund isn't done.  

Additional Resources

Related KBs:

Get Help

Keywordsbenefits payroll paycheck refund deduction one-time adjustment incorrect PY, Payroll PY, Payroll PY, Payroll   Doc ID74645
Ownerjenny j.GroupUW–Shared Services
Created2017-07-17 14:39:16Updated2024-05-14 10:51:48
SitesUW–Shared Services
Feedback  0   0