Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Customer Support
Accessing Information Using the My.Wisconsin.Edu Portal
OverviewThis document summarizes active employee portal access and the duration guidelines that each UW institution sets for allowing former students and employees access to their institution's portal after graduation or termination.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
What and When is information available to active employees?
- Once an employee is active in HRS, and the institution has provided access information to MyUW portal all tiles appear but have limited access to information and cannot connect to HRS
- Once the Employee Active security role is assigned the employee will have access to HRS through MyUW portal.
- Employee Active security role is assigned seven (7) days prior to hire date, if future dated, or date of hire if current/past dated.
What information is available to former employees?
- Once termination date has been reached the Employee Active security role is removed.
- The employee will continue to have access to all MyUW portal tiles based upon institution specific guidelines below, however information from HRS will be limited and there is no access to connect to HRS.
- Personal Information will display but are not able to update information.
- Benefit Information displays enrollment statements, ETF statements, and dependents View Benefits Summary Detail button does not function.
- Time and Absence displays leave balances and leave reports, but cannot enter time.
- Payroll Information tile appears but are unable to access earning statements or W-2s.
How long do UW Institutions allow former employees access to the my.wisconsin.edu portal?
- Madison – UW Madison former employees (including student help) will have access to employee information for 24 months following their termination date
- Milwaukee – When the termination is entered into the HRS, employees will immediately lose their access to the UW portal.
- Eau Claire – When the termination is entered into the HRS, employees will immediately lose their access to the UW portal.
- La Crosse – Approximately 24 hours after the termination HRS.
- Oshkosh – Whenever user IDs are deactivated, employees will immediately lose access to the UW portal. Employees will receive a warning of deactivation 2-weeks prior.
- Platteville – Approximately 9 months after the termination HRS
- Stevens Point – Approximately 6 months after termination HRS
- Whitewater – When the termination is entered into system, employees will lose their access to the portal.
- Green Bay – Instructional Staff, Faculty, Rehired and University Staff will have continued access for approximately two weeks to a month. All other employees can access for approximately one week.
- Parkside – Instructional Staff and Faculty will be able to access for approximately 12 months. General Academic Staff and University Staff will have 2 weeks after termination. Others will be deactivated immediately.
- River Falls – They will lose access immediately after termination.
- Stout – Access to the portal ends immediately when the termination is entered into HRS.
- Superior – Approximately 45 days after the termination is entered into HRS.
How long do UW Institutions allow their students access to the my.wisconsin.edu portal after graduation/termination?
- Madison – Students will be able to access Student Center for transcripts and tuition statements. Student non-employees do not have access to my.wisconsin.edu
- Milwaukee – Campus email account and other school related access will be available up to 2 semesters. Job portal will not be accessible after termination.
- Eau Claire – Campus email account and other school related access will be available for one year.
- La Crosse – Approximately 6 months
- Oshkosh – Everything will be accessible for one whole semester then the user ID will be deactivated.
- Platteville – Approximately 9 months but an email warning will be sent.
- Stevens Point – Approximately 6 months
- Whitewater – Students lose their user ID right after graduation or as soon as they are terminated.
- Green Bay – Student employees will lose access in approximately one week. User ID will be still active up to a year after graduation.
- Parkside – Students will have access for up to 2 years.
- River Falls – Approximately one year after graduation.
- Stout – Students will lose access soon after termination/graduation.
- Superior – After 9 months, students will no longer access their email. Terminated students have access to job portal approximately up to 45 days.