Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Benefits Administration

Notifying Optum Financial of UW Transfer To/From Another State Agency


This procedure outlines the steps campuses should take when an employee is transferring to and/or From the another State Agency.

You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:


Payroll Center A = refers to the previous payroll center the participant is from

Payroll Center B = refers to the new payroll center the participant is transferring to

1. The employee gives notice to Payroll Center A that they are transferring to Payroll Center B.

2. Payroll Center A enters termination into the system. Additional term/cancellation records for the same employee on future files from Payroll Center A will prevent the transfer processing from working properly.

3.  Payroll Center A submits a Personnel Transfer Record (PTR) to the new agency that the employee is transferring to.

4.  Payroll Center B HR/Payroll/Benefit Staff should reach out to to confirm the enrollment information that Payroll Center A provided to Optum Financial such as coverage type(s), annual election amount(s), and remaining contributions for the participant. Payroll Center B records the remaining contribution amounts on the form as "Annual Employee or Employer Contributions. All transferring enrollment elections must be sent to Optum Financial by Payroll Center B on the enrollment file, in addition to adding the employee to the census file.

5.  Payroll Center B provides the applicable enrollment form(s) to the employee to review and complete.

a. HSA Enrollment Form

b. ERA Enrollment Form (includes FSA, Dependent Care Account, and Commuter Elections)

Note: If the employee is eligible to transfer benefits coverage over to the new agency, Payroll Center B should have the employee complete any applicable enrollment forms. If Payroll Center B does not accept a benefit coverage type (such as commuter fringe benefit from Central to UW System), the applicable benefit(s) will be terminated with Payroll Center A. Payroll Center B can only offer new benefits to the employee if it was not offered to the employee at Payroll Center A.

6. Payroll Center B enters the benefit enrollment and contribution elections into their payroll system once the forms have been received and verified.

Example: Employee's annual election with Central Payroll was $1000.00 Medical and to date has contributed $300. The annual election that should be entered into HRS is $700. (Add an ADM Activity to the BAS Activity Table and enter the employee's enrollments prior to the first payroll check.)

7. Census and Enrollment data should be sent on the next weekly files by Payroll Center B. The files will override the previous payroll center which allows the employee to be listed under Payroll Center B.

Note: If the total annual election amount under Payroll Center B is less than the amount for Payroll Center A, Optum Financial's system will ignore the total annual election from Payroll Center B if the updated record is processed by Optum Financial within 14 days from the termination occurring under Payroll Center A; thus, allowing continued coverage without overriding the true total annual election amount.To ensure this process is managed appropriately, it is important timely census and enrollment information is passed to Optum Financial by both Payroll Center A and Payroll Center B.
8. File original(s) into employee's personnel file.

To the top

Additional Resources

Related KBs:

Related Links:

Get Help

Keywords:CYC transfer State Agency FSA Flexible Spending Account HSA Health Savings Account transferring parking transit payroll frequency personnel transfer record PTR ERA employee reimbursement account BN, Benefits BN, Benefits   Doc ID:51146
Owner:erinn b.Group:UW–Shared Services
Created:2015-05-06 14:14 CSTUpdated:2021-10-13 12:15 CST
Sites:UW–Shared Services
Feedback:  0   0