Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Benefits Administration
Review of the Flex Spending Account/Limited Purpose Flex Spending Account New Hire Enrollment Process in HRS
OverviewNew employees can elect a Medical, Dependent Care, or Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account (FSA) by completing an FSA Enrollment form within 30 days of their date of hire or by completing their elections on line using Self Service.
1. Employee submits a paper enrollment application or applies using Self Service within 30 days of hire.
2. If paper application, Benefits Office reviews enrollment form and enters into HRS (Reference: 58169 ). See below for enrollment application tips.
3. If paper application is received, file it in employee's benefits file.
4. Shared Services sends enrollment files to Optum Financial on the same day that payroll confirms.
5. Optum financial creates an account for employee.
- If an employee is enrolling in the Limited Purpose FSA (LPFSA), verify in HRS that the employee is enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and a Heath Savings Account (HSA) plan first. If the employee is not enrolled in both plans, they are not eligible for the LPFSA unless their spouse is enrolled in High Deductible Health Plan. Please have the employee provide proof of the other HDHP insurance prior to enrolling in an LPFSA Account. The Benefit Administrators should also check with the employee to see if they meant to enroll in the Medical FSA plan instead.
- If an employee is trying to make a change to an existing election due to a Qualifying Life Event, please visit Processing UW FSA and LPFSA Qualifying Events in HRS for that process.
Overrides on FSA/LPFSA:
- Employee contributions will be deducted in equal amounts from each paycheck, pre-tax, throughout the Plan Year. Employees must follow the 26 or 20 pay schedules
UWSS Benefits Team will be querying for overrides that are placed on employee Spending Accounts and will remove any that are not allowed
- If employee is 9-month employee and enrolled via Self Service, the contribution per pay period will reflect 12 months. The UWSS Benefits Team will audit for the 9-month employee Self Service enrollments and will enter in the overrides manually. Only 20 pay employees will have overrides on their accounts
- Employees may not have overrides placed on their FSA accounts UNLESS it is their final paycheck prior to retirement/termination
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
Instructions for Completing and Verifying the Application
1. Enter the following information:
2. Verify the information in the Enrollee Personal Information section:
- Employer Name = Univ of WI - System
- Employee ID = Employee's HRS Employee ID
- Enrollment Status = New Enrollment or Re-Enrollment
- Change Effective Date = Coverage is effective the first of the month following date of hire. When you enter this in HRS, use this date for the FSA or ADM Event date. Adding Events to the BAS Activity Table in HRS
- Date of First Payroll: Pay date of when first deduction is taken. Normally, this will be the payroll that includes the coverage effective date.
- Example: For a bi-weekly employee with coverage effective 6/1/20, the date of first payroll would be 5/10/20 (5B Pay Date).
- Employee Name
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number
- Home Phone Number
- Home Address
- Mobile Phone Number
- Marital Status
- If the employee would like to update their Optum Financial profile, they may do so when their information has been transmitted to Optum Financial and an account has been created.
- Annual Employee Contribution:
- Annual Employee Contribution: Amount entered is for the remainder of the calendar year
- Number of regular pay periods: Count the number remaining in the calendar year (Note: FSA, LPFSA, and HSA are not taken on C Payrolls or during summer months for C-Basis employees)
- Contribution per pay period: Divide the number of remaining pay periods in the calendar year to determine a pay period deduction. (For 9-month employees, be sure to put in an override in HRS and divide the annual election over the remaining pay periods in the calendar year. This assumes they are returning in the fall.)
4. Verify that the employee has signed and dated the application.
- Processing UW FSA and LPFSA Qualifying Events in HRS
- Enrolling, Changing, or Canceling Coverage Using On Demand Event Maintenance in HRS