Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Absence Management
Adjusting the ALRA Counter in HRS
OverviewThe ALRA counter is a mechanism used to count the number of months a Faculty/Academic Staff/Limited Appointment (FA/AS/LI) person has been in State Service. An ALRA Counter Adjustment is necessary in certain circumstances, such as when someone transfers in from another State Agency, they transfer from University Staff to FA/AS/LI, or if they go from C basis to A basis. The counter determines when an employee is eligible to bank into ALRA.
- The ALRA adjustment can be done retroactively by the UW Shared Services.
Click on the links below to skip directly to a section:
- Calculate the ALRA count
- University Staff, except those in a temporary appointment
- Faculty /Academic Staff /Limited employees who are leave eligible
- Time spent in continuous employment at other state agencies
- Approved leaves of absence from these appointments
- Partial months will be counted as a whole month.
- Breaks in state service
- Positions not eligible for leave
- Service at an authority (such as University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) or the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC)
- The following counts toward the ALRA total:
- The following does not count toward the ALRA total:
- Once you have the dates enter them into the following spreadsheet which will calculate the employee's ALRA count.
- Navigate to Global Payroll & Absence Mgmt > Absence and Payroll processing > Review Absence/Payroll Info> Results by Calendar to check the current ALRA counter in the Accumulator Tab see the ALRACT_Bal element.
- Submit a ticket to the UWSS Service Operations indicating the need for an ALRA counter adjustment along with what the adjustment should be. Attach completed spreadsheet from above to ticket.
- Tell us when the counter needs to be effective.
- Vacation, Paid Leave Banks, and Vacation Cash Payouts
- MSN Policies - Vacation
- Continuous Service