Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll
Requesting a Sabbatical Repayment in HRS
OverviewWhen an employee has been on sabbatical leave and doesn't fulfill their contract to work the required amount of time, upon return from leave, the sabbatical needs to be repaid. This amount is calculated by UWSS Service Operations. This user procedure provides instructions on how to request the amount owed and repayment details.
- If the repayment crosses a calendar year it will result in the employee owing federal and state taxes as they can't be credited back
- Employee will receive a W2C for any prior year adjustments after full payment is received at UWSS Service Operations
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- When it's discovered that an employee won't fulfill the obligation of working the required amount of time after returning from a sabbatical, you should send an email to UWSS Service Operations.
- Include the employee's name, Empl ID, and the time frame for the sabbatical repayment.
- The Service Operations Team will set up a ticket and it will be forwarded to the Payroll team.
- A spreadsheet will be set up and calculations done to determine the repayment amount.
- Be aware that the employee will owe for net wages, prior year federal and state taxes, employee and employer benefit premium costs.
- When done you will receive an email with the spreadsheet attached that will have the repayment details and amount.
- You will need to contact the employee and let them know how much is owed.
- Payments should be sent to UWSS Service Operations at 660 W Washington St, Madison, WI 53703.
- You can expect the turnaround processing time to be approximately one week.