Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll > PY Learning Path
Approving, Returning, and Rejecting an Off-Cycle Missed Payroll Request in HRS
OverviewThis user procedure provides step by step instructions for approving, rejecting, and returning an off-cycle request to a submitter.
- Processing Time
Off-Cycle Payrolls will be processed in HRS by Service Operations with payments made payable on Wednesday of each week. Requests must be received at Service Operations by NOON on Tuesday for processing that week. Employees will be paid via ACH direct deposit, Focus paycard, or on a rare occasion a paper check, as appropriate. Money from direct deposit will be available on the Friday of that week. Paper checks will be mailed directly to the employee's address in HRS as defined per the following KB: Managing Payroll Options in HRS .
- Approving in a Timely Manner:
- Approvers will receive an auto-generated email weekly for all unapproved missed payroll requests that are more than 7 days old. On day 22 the request will be rejected. Both the requester and approver will get notification emails on this. If a check is still needed a new request will have to be submitted.
- Eligibility Criteria
There are certain criteria that must be met in order for an employee to be eligible to receive an off-cycle pay check.
For “Regular Hours/Gross” only, the employee must have a minimum of:
- Student Help (SH) ~ 5 Hours or more
- University Staff & Academic Hourly Staff ~ 8 Hours or more
- FA/AS/LI ~ 10% of “Regular” Gross
- Must not be older than 2 pay periods
- Lump Sum requests:
- Student ~ $100 or more
- Hourly Non-Student ~ $400 or more
- FA/AS/LI ~ $1000 or more
- Must follow WfAP guidelines - entered in Workflow Addl Pay Create and fully approved
- Items that cannot be submitted (on their own) on an Off Cycle/Missed Payroll Request:
- Over Time or Add-ons
- Additional Pay, which is not part of their “Regular” gross
- Termination Pay
- Retro Pay (URP) - any retroactive charge processed on JOB Data that incurs retroactive payment adjustments that need to be processed on cycle.
- Overloads (UOL)
- Any other exception that requires a supervisor's approval
1. When a campus payroll staff member submits a missed payroll request, all of the approvers for the specified campus/division receive an email notifying them of the submission. The email contains the name of the requester, a list of all of the approvers that received the email, and a link to the off-cycle status page.
2. After selecting the link to the Missed Payroll Request Status page, the following criteria exists on this page:
- Submitted on: The date the request was originally submitted.
- Employee Name: The name of the employee for whom the off-cycle check was requested.
- Status: The current status of the request. Possible statuses are:
- Awaiting Division/Institute Approval - The request has been submitted but has neither been approved nor rejected.
- Approved by Division/Institute - The request has been approved by the campus/division and has been sent to the UWSS Service Operations for processing.
- Returned to Requester for Edits - The request has been sent back to the requester. They can make changes and resubmit the request for approval.
- Request Cancelled - The request has been rejected and cannot be edited or resubmitted.
- Complete, Division/Institution Notified - The request has been entered and the off cycle check details have been emailed to the requester and the approver.
- Approval Date: The date the request was approved. If it has not been approved yet or has been rejected, it will just display a dash (-).
- Action: Their are two types of action buttons:
- Review: If the ticket is still awaiting approval, the Action button will say Review. Clicking this button allows the approver to view, edit, approve, return, or reject the request.
- View: If the request has been approved, returned to the requester, or rejected, the Action button will say View. Clicking this button allows the approver to view the request, but they are unable to edit it or perform any other actions on it.
- WiscIT: The WiscIT ticket number associated with the off-cycle request. If the request has not been approved yet or has been rejected, it will be blank.
3. Click the Review button for the desired request.
4. You will now see an editable version of the request form. The request status is displayed at the top of the page.
5. You should review the request for accuracy and ensure that the request meets the necessary criteria for issuing an off-cycle check. You can edit any of the information entered into the form just as you would when submitting a new request.
6. Fill out the Optional Approver Feedback text box in which you can enter feedback or notes for the requester. It's important to provide specific reasons for either returning or rejecting a request. Without that information, the requester will have no way of knowing what was wrong with the request or what should be corrected on it.
7. At this point, the off-cycle request must either be approved, returned to the original requester for edits, or rejected. There is a button corresponding to each of these three options at the bottom of the page. Click the desired one.
- If approving the request, place a checkmark in the box to authorize a complete and thorough review has been performed for the missed payroll request.Approving the form before clicking the Approve Request button.
Approve: Approving the request will cause a WiscIT ticket to be generated at Service Operations. They will then process the request to produce an off-cycle check.
A message indicating that the request was successfully approved will appear at the top of the screen. It will contain the WiscIT ticket number that was generated for the request. An email will be sent to the requester indicating that the request was approved.
Return to Original Requester for Edits: You can send the request back to the person that submitted it. The requester can then make any necessary changes and resubmit the request for approval. A message indicating that the request was returned to the original requester will appear at the top of the screen. You will not be able to edit the request until it has been resubmitted. An email will be sent to the requester indicating that the request was returned.
Reject: Rejecting the request will NOT forward it to Service Operations and it cannot be resubmitted.
A message indicating that the request was rejected will appear at the top of the screen. No further changes can be made to the request though it can still be viewed. An email will be sent to the requester indicating that the request was rejected.