Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll > PY Learning Path
Reviewing the Payroll Error Messages Report in HRS
OverviewUWSS Service Operations and campuses need to verify that the information going into the payroll final calculation and confirm will not cause the processes to fail. UWSS also needs to verify the integrity of the payroll and benefits set-up and employee data. Authorized users will be able to view the Payroll Error Messages report in Cypress or run this report ad hoc through HRS for their respective campus, division or department.
The Payroll Error Message Report is most useful to PY Coordinators if they do not see a calculated paycheck for their employee(s) in Review Paycheck or on the Payroll Edit Report. If there is a calculation error during the nightly payroll processing for that week, then there will not be a paycheck for viewing until the error is cleared. By checking this report, the coordinator can see the condition causing the error that was encountered. Shared Services staff also receive an error listing, and nearly all types of calculation errors are cleaned up by Shared Services Service Operations.
- If you see your employee with a negative gross error, you may want to check if all the employee's time has been entered/approved (for hourly EEs) or if there is an Absence Management issue such as Leave Without Pay (LWOP) on the employee's record (absence issues will also be on the Absence Underpaid audit sent every morning of the payroll processing week).
Instructions for Viewing the Cypress Report
The following are some sample pages from the Payroll Error Messages Report in Cypress - there is one page per department ID/pay group combination:
Items on the report to note:
Pay Period End - The end date of the current pay period being calculated
Pay Group - Signifies the pay group of the empl record on which the error is occurring
Dept ID - The DeptID of the job on which the error is occurring.
Employee Name, Employee ID, Empl Rcd# - Identifies the employee and empl record on which the error is occurring
Message - Tells the error type/what is causing the issue with the calculation of the employee's paycheck
Running the Payroll Error Messages Report in HRS
Enter an existing run control ID or create a new one on the main page and click Search. See Setting Up Run Control IDs in HRS for more information
- Enter the Pay Run ID you want to run the error messages for. You can further narrow your search by also entering a DeptID. Leaving the DeptID field blank will return errors for all departments. After entering your criteria, click the Run button in top right corner.
- You will be taken to the Process Scheduler Request page. The Type and Format fields should default to "Web" and "PDF" respectively. Click the OK button to run the report.
- You will be taken back to the Error Messages Report criteria page. Use the Process Monitor link and View Log/Trace link to get to the report. See Viewing the Process Monitor in HRS for more information.
- On the View Log/Trace page, click on the PDF file under the File List section to view the report output.
- The On-Cycle Payroll Calculation and Confirmation Processes in HRS
- Reviewing an Employee's Paycheck in HRS
- Reviewing the HRS Edit Report Delivered via Cypress
- Setting Up Run Control IDs in HRS