Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll > PY Learning Path
Viewing Payline Adjustments in HRS
OverviewThis procedure provides an overview of paylines, what they are used for and how to view payline adjustments.
- A security role has been created for campus/division Payroll Coordinators which will give “view” access to the By Payline page in HRS (Payroll for North America > Payroll Processing USA > Update Paysheets >By Payline).
- This will allow Payroll Coordinators to see important pay information during the Payroll Calculation period.
- To be able to view Paylines, you should request access to the Security Role: PY Payroll Edit View.
- The payline page is another tool to verify that an employee’s payroll information is correct.
- This page allows the Payroll Coordinator to see all of the payline adjustments (for example, a one-time deduction made by UWSS Service Operations) in real time without waiting for overnight processes.
Review of Paylines
A payline contains the earnings details in hours and/or dollars that make up the gross pay in an employee’s paycheck broken down by earnings code. An employee can have multiple paylines depending upon the different types of pay he/she receives and when the payment was earned. For example, an employee can have one payline for all of his normal salary (job pay) and a second payline for a bonus payment (additional pay). Paylines are created during the initial payroll calculation process and are no longer available to view after the payroll confirms. The By Payline page in HRS shows all earnings that are set to be paid to an employee, but does not show calculated gross pay, taxes, deductions, or net pay. An employee's calculated paycheck can be viewed on the Review Paycheck page.
Various forms of pay are loaded to employee paylines:
- Job Data pay (FA/AS/LI exempt employees)
- Time & Labor (hourly employees)
- Additional pay
- Retro pay
Payline adjustments, or adjustments made to what HRS is calculating, are used for a variety of scenarios. A few examples are:
- Approved additional pay that is not loading as expected
- Time that was entered incorrectly or is paying out incorrectly
- Time entered in to the system after a termination
- Paying out absence balances after a termination
- Other miscellaneous pay adjustments before a payroll calculation
- To refund/add/override benefit or general deductions
- To refund/add/override taxes
- To refund/add/override garnishment deductions (can only be seen by UWSS Service Operations staff)
The By Payline Page
Navigation: Payroll for North America > Payroll Processing USA > Update Paysheets > By Payline
Below is a description of the data found on each of the By Payline page tabs.
- This section has employee ID, employee Name, the employee Pay Group and Pay Period End Date information.
Manual Check is used to indicate that a manual adjustment is being made at UWSS Service Operations. For example, when an employee submits a personal check to pay back an overpayment (check correction), this box is checked when the off-cycle adjustment is entered into HRS. The Page and Line fields indicate the line number this payline is on the paysheet.
- This section shows the employee’s Empl Rcd# and Ben Rcd#. The Check #, Check Date, Total Gross, and Net Pay fields in this section will be blank unless there has been a Manual Check adjustment done by UWSS Service Operations.
OK to Pay needs to be checked in order for the pay and deductions to get calculated and confirmed. The TL Records checkbox is used when earnings have loaded from Time & Labor. The Hourly Rate field will be populated for all employees using the employee's hourly rate in Job Data. The Regular Salary field will be populated for FA/AS/LI employees only, and will show the employee's monthly compensation rate from Job Data. This amount is what will be paid to the employee.
This section shows the Earnings Begin/End Dates (the pay period in which the earnings were earned).
The Other Earnings section houses earnings loading from sources other than Job Data. Other pay data from T&L, AM, Additional Pay, and Retro Pay would appear here. The Other Earnings rows have more detailed information about the employee’s pay, including the Earnings Code, Seq #, Rate Code, Hours (if applicable) and Amount.
Multiple Rows on the Payline Tab
Like many other pages in HRS, there can be multiple rows in the Payline Details section of Payline tab that show different, often important information. You can click the View All link or click through each row individually. The rows show payline data for each week of the payroll being calculated. The images below display the different rows for an University Staff employee, which will show the pay information for each week of the bi-weekly pay period.
One-Time Deductions TabYou will only see information on this tab if there is a one-time deduction adjustment made by UWSS Service Operations, for example, if you needed to make an additional deduction for an employee’s benefits. Because the By Payline page does not show a calculated check (this can be viewed in Review Paycheck), only one-time adjustments to deductions show on this tab. Deductions that just normally take from an employee's paycheck are not shown here, but will be visible on his/her calculated paycheck. If there are no one-time deduction adjustments on the payline, the fields in One-Time Deduction Data Override section will be blank.
One-Time Taxes Tab
You will only see information on this tab if there is a one-time tax adjustment made by UWSS Service Operations, for example, if an employee needed a FICA tax refund. Because the By Payline page does not show a calculated check (this can be viewed in Review Paycheck), only one-time adjustments to taxes show on this tab. Taxes that are just regularly deducted from an employee's paycheck are not shown here, but will be visible on his/her calculated paycheck. If there are no one-time tax adjustments on the payline, the fields in One-Time Tax Data Override section will be blank.