Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Payroll > PY Learning Path
Processing a Salary Advance Request
OverviewInstitutions may offer new Academic Staff employees a salary advance to cover living expenses during the first month of employment. Advances up to 35% of one month's gross pay may be granted. A repayment agreement must be signed by the employee prior to the advance being made. Salary advances are to be repaid in full via payroll deduction from the employee's first regular payroll check.
- To request a salary advance an employee will complete a Salary Advance
Request and Payroll Deduction Form.
- Once you receive this form, you have
the ability to approve or deny the request according to the
requirements previously mentioned. If the request is approved the next
step is to calculate the amount the employee will be advanced.
employee can only receive a maximum of 35% of one month's gross pay.
- Normal taxes will be deducted from this payment.
- The Salary Advance
Request and Payroll Deduction Form should be kept in the
- UWSS Service Operations will process the request and generate an off-cycle payment.
- UWSS Service Operations will set up an entry in Additional Pay to recoup the advance from the first paycheck and will be entered as the negative amount of the advance.
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
- An employee will submit a Salary Advance Request and Payroll Deduction Form. This form should be kept in the department/division office.
- The request can be approved or denied. Use the Job Data page to see if the employee meets the requirements.
- Approve if the employee is a new Academic Staff employee.
- Deny if not an Academic Staff employee or have already been issued at least one paycheck.
- Calculate the amount that the employee will receive in the advance. An employee can receive a maximum of 35% of one month's gross pay.
- Submit a Special Payroll Salary Advance Request web form.
- The salary advance payment will be generated off-cycle by UWSS Service Operations and will be distributed per the usual off-cycle process.
- UWSS Service Operations will set up an entry in Additional Pay to recoup the advance on the employee's next paycheck.
NOTE: Once the Additional Pay has been set up for the employee's repayment of the advance, the payroll coordinator should verify the repayment on the next on-cycle payroll process. The validation can be done by checking the Payroll Edit report or Review Paycheck after any preliminary payroll calculation done during the next on-cycle payroll process.See KB Reviewing an Employee's Paycheck in HRS
- Entering Additional Pay in HRS
- Reviewing an Employee's Paycheck in HRS
- Reviewing the HRS Edit Report Delivered via Cypress