Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > Absence Management > AM Learning Path
Denying an Absence Request (Manager/Payroll Coordinator) in HRS
OverviewThis procedure outlines how a manager or supervisor can deny an employee's absence request. Denying an absence request informs an employee that for some reason they should not take the requested time off and they will not be paid for the absence.
- Employees should always review their absence balances before submitting any absence requests. The employee's balance will display on the page once they have selected the Absence Name. If a request is denied, the employee must record other time worked or request another absence in order to be paid for that day.
Before using this guide, a Manager should know the following: Campus login ID and password for My UW System Portal.
- Log in to the My UW System portal at https://my.wisconsin.edu/ Note: UW-Madison employees can optionally log in to the My UW-Madison portal instead. For more information on logging into the My UW System portal, please see Logging into the My.Wisconsin.edu / My.Wisc.edu System Portal .
- Locate the Manager Time and Approval module and click the Approve Absence link.
- You will be taken to the Absence Requests page. This page will show any Pending absence requests by default. Choose the absence you wish to deny by clicking on the employee's Name.
*Note: you can view any requests you have approved or denied by changing the Show Requests By Status field to what you want to view ("Approved" or "Denied") and then click the Refresh button.
- The Absence Details page will appear. Click on the Deny button to deny the absence request. You can optionally leave comments for the employee in the Approver Comments box.
5. You will see the Denial Confirmation page. Click Yes to deny the absence request.
NOTE: This balance only reflects the balance as of the last Earnings Statement (i.e. confirmed payroll). Absences approved or taken since the last payroll are not reflected in this balance. You should always verify that your employees have available hours of leave to take before approving any absence requests.
6. On the Deny Confirmation page click OK to finish denying the absence request.