Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration
Updating the HR Primary Indicator in HRS
OverviewEmployees can hold multiple jobs concurrently. Employees may have only one primary job at one time. In cases where the Employee's Primary employee record (Empl Record) has been terminated, another employee record must be designated as the Primary employee record. This document reviews how to update the HR Job Indicator.
- Updating the Job Indicator has NO impact on, and should not be confused with, the Benefits Primary Job. To update the Benefits Primary Job, reference KB 27798.
- In cases where an employee has two or more Empl Records and they are at different institutions, communication and collaboration should occur between multi-campus HR Staff/Campus Division Representatives to determine the correct Primary vs Secondary records.
- Various downstream systems utilize the Primary Job Indicator:
- Security Provisioning
- Info Access
- UW Madison White pages
- As a best business practice, the Primary Job Indicator should be maintained.
- Madison Only: When an employee is hired into a concurrent job or position through JEMS, the system automatically assigns both positions as the Primary Job. An HR Professional will have to update the employee's Job Data to update the Job Indicator on the Empl Record that is secondary.
- The following logic should be followed to determine which job should be primary:
|1.||If multiple jobs with Empl Class of FA (Faculty) where one or more are for Summer (Pay Basis = "V" Summer Service or "S" Summer Session) and one is Academic Year (Pay Basis = "C" Academic), the Academic Year Empl Record is Primary, else|
|2.||Pay Basis is not equal to "N" (i.e. paid position/job)|
|3.||If more than one Empl Record exists with Pay Basis not equal to "N," or all Empl Records have a Pay Basis = "N," choose the Empl Record with largest FTE.|
|4.|| If there is more than 1 Empl Record with the same "largest" FTE, assign the Primary Job based on the following order of priority in Empl Class:
|5.||If more than 1 Empl Record exists with the same FTE and Empl Class, assign Primary Job based on the earliest Job Start Date among these Empl Records. This is the most current Hire, Rehire, Transfer effective date for each Empl Record. Exceptions:
|6.||If more than 1 Empl Record exists with the same FTE, Empl Class and Job Start Date, assign the Primary Job based on lowest Empl Record.|
InstructionsNavigation: Workforce Administration > Job Information > Job Data
- Enter Name or Empl ID of Employee.
- Click Search button.
- Two or more Empl Records appear for Employee. Select the record that needs to be changed.
- Click the plus sign to add a new row.
- Enter the Effective Date of the change.
- Change the Effective Sequence number if needed.
- Set the Action drop-down menu to Data Change.
- Set the Reason drop-down menu to Change Job Indicator.
- Set the Job Indicator drop-down menu to either Primary Job or Secondary Job.
- You may receive a soft warning message if the employee that you are updating already has a Primary Job. Click OK.
- Click Save.
- Repeat these steps to update any additional Job Records that need to be modified.