Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration > HR Learning Path
Adding an Employment Instance (Non-Madison) in HRS
OverviewEmployees can hold multiple jobs within the UW system. This document describes how to add a Concurrent Job by creating an Employment Instance.
- If the employee has a terminated Empl Rcd, rehire the employee using the lowest inactive Employee Record for the concurrent job. See Rehiring an Employee in HRS.
- The HR Indicator must be reflected accurately on each job. See Updating the HR Primary Indicator in HRS.
- Consult with a Benefits Administrator to determine if the additional job has an impact on Benefits Eligibility.
- If the Health Rate changes because of the additional job (due to accumulated FTE), the value must also be reflected on all jobs.
- Criminal Background Check date, Sexual Harassment Reference Check date and Position of Trust type will need to be added after all steps have been completed. See Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust, and Sexual Harassment Reference Checks in HRS
You may click on the links below to navigate directly to a section:
InstructionsNavigation Path: Workforce Administration>Personal Information> Organizational Relationship> New Employment Instance
- Enter Empl ID.
- Press the Tab key; note the Empl Rcd Nbr advances to the next available number.
- Click the Add Relationship button.
If this job is not using a position, follow Hiring an Employee into a Job without a Position (Non-Madison) in HRS to complete the hire. Otherwise, continue with the steps below.
- Click on the Work Location tab.
- Enter the start date of the job in the Effective Date field.
- Click the Calculate Status and Dates button if it appears.
- The Action defaults to Hire. Select the appropriate Reason code.
- If necessary, select the Job Indicator (Primary or Secondary). See Updating the HR Primary Indicator in HRS.
- Enter the Position Number.
Note: When you tab out of the Position Number field, the attributes associated with the position will automatically populate.
- Enter an Expected Job End Date (EJED) if applicable (required on continuities 02A, 02B, 02C, 05A, 05B).
- Click the Job Information tab.
- Verify that the Job Code, Full/Part, Empl Class, Pay Basis, and Standard Hours/FTE fields have auto-populated.
- If necessary, select the value for the Seasonal field. See Maintaining Workforce - Seasonal Employees in HRS.
- If necessary, select the value for the Officer Code field. See Officer Code Listing Job Aid for HRS.
- If necessary, click the Next Contract Number button.
- Click the Job Labor tab. Values on this tab will default from either the Position number or the values entered on Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- Click the Payroll tab. Values on this tab will default from Position or the values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- Click the Salary Plan Tab. Values will default from Position or the values entered on the Work Location and Job Information tabs.
- Click the Compensation tab.
- Click the Default Pay Components button.
- Verify the correct Rate Code populated based upon the employee's Pay Basis. See Comp Rate Frequency in HRS.
- Enter the Comp Rate amount.
- Verify that the bottom Frequency populated correctly. See Comp Rate Frequency in HRS.
- Verify or edit the top Frequency. The top Frequency will populate correctly for employees with a Rate Code of NAHRLY; however, all employees with a Rate Code of NAANNL will need to be changed to either 9B or B based upon the employee's pay basis. See Comp Rate Frequency in HRS.
- Click the Calculate Compensation button.
- Verify the Compensation Rate in the top Compensation section is accurate.
- Click the UW Custom tab.
- Review the Continuity field.
- Select a Probation Type. If required, enter Probation End Date.
- If appropriate, click a checkbox in the Rate Exceptions fields.
- Enter the Working Title if needed.
- Click the UW Benefits tab.
- Leave the Previous WRS State Service and Previous WRS Local Service fields blank.
- If known, select the value for the WRS Before July 1, 2011 field. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Enter the correct value for the Rehired Annuitant Field if known. If unknown, leave as the default value of No.
- Leave the Visiting from Other Institution field blank.
- If the employee is required to work out of state for their job, select Yes from the drop-down for the Work Out of State Required field.
- If the employee is expected to work less than 20 hours per week, select Less than Half Time Rate in the Health Rate field.
- If this is a Faculty hire that is eligible for tenure:
- Click on the Employment Data Link at the bottom of the page.
- Click the flag icon.
- Click the Accrue Tenure Services checkbox
- Click OK to save the new Job Record.
- Updating the HR Primary Indicator in HRS
- Maintaining Person Data - Biographical Details in HRS
- Managing Position Data in HRS
- Rehiring an Employee in HRS
- Using the Person Assignment Checklist to record Criminal Background Check, Position of Trust, and Sexual Harassment Reference Checks in HRS