Topics Map > Human Resource System (HRS) > HRS Human Resources Administration
Managing the Student Template Hire - HR Approval in HRS
OverviewHR Representatives will receive potential student hire information through the Student Smart HR Template Hire workflow from institutional department representatives. Prior to the hire approval, HR Staff will need to check HRS for potential matches before adding the person and hiring them into a Job. Whether the person is new or currently in HRS determines if the action of the HR Representative will be Add New Person / Hire OR Add an Employment Instance OR Rehire.
HR Staff will also review all Personal and Hiring/Job Data and correct, if necessary. HR Staff will have the ability to deny/reject hires. These will appear on the Student Template Hire Status that the institutional department representatives will be monitoring.
- Access to the Manage Hire pages requires a separate security role.
- Search HRS for an existing employee ID first, see Searching for Existing Person in HRS.
- If a Student Worker is processed in Manage Hires and a MATCH is found you should CANCEL the transaction in Manage Hires and evaluate if Empl Record(s) exist and determine steps to either:
- Use the Emp Record available (if HR Status = Inactive due to Termination row); and REHIRE OR
- Add an Employment Instance to create a new Emp Record
Instructions For Approving Student Hires
- Navigate to Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Manage Hires
- Enter a date range into the two date fields
- Click the Refresh button
A list of students submitted to HR for approval will appear.
- To begin approval process, click the name of the student
Click the Search for Matching Persons link
- A list of possible matches will appear. If no match is found click the link Not a Match – Continue with Hire and skip to Step 11 below
- If a match is found, then click on the Select button, and OK to continue
- Then click on View/Edit Personal Data button to review and make any necessary updates to personal data, click Save
- Back on the Manage Hires Details page, click Add Job Data button and proceed to Step 15 below
- If no match is found, click the Add Personal Data button.
- See Adding a Student Help Person in HRS for information to review on the Personal Data Biographical Details tab, Contact Information tab, Regional tab, and UW Personal tab.
- On the Organizational Relationship Tab, click the check box for Employee.
- Click the Add the Relationship button
Verify the data fields for Job: Work Location tab, Job Information tab, Compensation tab, UW Custom tab. See Hiring Into a Job or Transfer (Student Help) in HRS.
- Click the OK button to Save
Review the Manage Hire page to see if person hired has been removed from the waiting for approval page
Reject a Submitted Hire
- Click the check box on the Manage Hire page
Click the Cancel Selected Transaction button
Review Manage Hires Errors
- Click the drop down for *Select Transactions Where: and select Status
- Select Error from the *Equals: drop down list to only view transactions with the status of Error. Click the Refresh button.
- Click the Select All button at the bottom of the screen. This will enter a check in all the check boxes shown.
- Click the Cancel Selected Transactions button. You will receive a message to confirm or cancel.
- Click the OK button to return back to the Manage Hires page. The records in error are removed from Manage Hire.
Correct a transaction with a status of error
- Go to Manage Hires and click the erroneous transaction
- Click View Errors and you will then be taken to the list of errors.
- In this case, a required phone number is missing. Click Return to Manage Hires Details link.
- After returning to the Manage Hires page, click Open Template
- Fix the errors and click Save & Submit button.
- Searching for Existing Person in HRS
- Using the Student Template Hire in HRS
- Adding a Student Help Person in HRS
- Hiring Into a Job or Transfer (Student Help) in HRS
- Maintaining Workforce Data (Student Help) in HRS