Disinfecting Electronic Devices
Overview:This document will explain how to safely disinfect your computer and other electronic devices.
- Please be careful when doing this. Too much moisture can cause irreparable harm to electronics.
- Use "screen cleaning" or "electronics" alcohol wipes that have less than 70% alcohol.
- Follow instructions listed on the cleaning, as you may need to wipe for several seconds to properly disinfect.
- Note: If you do not have access to wipes, UW-Shared Services Information Technology recommends a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on a microfiber towel. Alcohol will evaporate quickly and lessen the chance of leaving unwanted moisture on your equipment.
- Do not use standard disinfecting wipes (Lysol or Clorox wipes), as they leave too much moisture on the device. Stronger household cleaners will damage the anti-glare coating on screens and leave sticky residue on keyboards.