Topics Map > Applications & Software > Email and Calendaring
Archiving Old E-Mails
OverviewThis document describes the process of archiving old emails and how to export and import them as a .pst file to save in your current Microsoft Outlook account. If you are using a Mac, please contact the HelpDesk to assist with this task.
- Open Outlook, then, Click "File > Open & Export > Import/Export".
- When the Import and Export Wizard pops up, select "Export to a file", and then click "Next".
- Select "Outlook Data File (.pst)" in the Export to a File dialog, and click "Next".
- Select a folder that you want to export as a .pst file, and click "Next".
- Select a location to save the .pst file, then click "Finish". You can add a password to protect the file, or leave the fields blank by clicking "OK".
Instructions for Importing a .pst file
- Open Outlook, then, "Click File > Open & Export > Open Outlook Data File".
- Use File Explorer to navigate to the location where you exported your .pst file, then click "Open".
- Your .pst file will appear in Outlook as a new mailbox. You can browse your archived emails.
- You can either keep the file open in Outlook, or you can copy the file into a folder in your email, whichever you prefer.
- If you would like to close the Outlook Data File, right-click on it and select "Close Outlook Data File".