New Employee - General Computer Use Information
OverviewWelcome to UW-Shared Services (UWSS) and UW System Administration (UWSA)! This summary will help orient you to the technology offered by your organization.
What is my Username and Password?
- Employee usernames will be their preferred first name, a period, and then followed by their last name (ex: john.doe).
- This will also be your email address (ex: email@example.com).
UW System Administration
Employees have two usernames:
- First name and last name (ex: "John Doe") .
Used to access your Windows-based computer, and some network services.
- First initial, followed by last name (ex: "jdoe")
Used to access many services provided by the UW System.
Used as your e-mail address (ex: "firstname.lastname@example.org").
- Combined with "@uwsa.edu", used to access your email and calendar (ex: "email@example.com")
UWSS and UWSA use Microsoft Office 365 which provides access to your e-mail, calendar, to-do list and contacts using Office 365 applications on your computer, or the Office 365 website online.
Computers in UWSS and UWSA offices are configured to access network drives. All information produced for UWSS or UWSA should be saved on your network storage space. Network storage can be accessed by other members of your office team or business unit. In addition, some network information can be accessed by all UWSS or UWSA employees.
UWSS and UWSA employees are provided a cloud-based personal drive as part of Office 365. In addition to being your individual secure file storage location, OneDrive for Business has features that make it easier for you to access your work documents and share documents with others.
UWSS and UWSA employees have access to SharePoint sites for their organization and departments. These offer document libraries which allow documents to be stored "in the cloud". Files stored in SharePoint can be accessed anywhere with an internet connection.
UWSS and UWSA employees have the ability to create Microsoft Teams. Teams come with document libraries which allow documents to be stored "in the cloud". Files stored in Teams can be accessed anywhere with an internet connection.
The MyUW Portal contains important information about your payroll, benefits, and contact information. It’s also where many employees enter and update personal information.
The following important tasks can be performed in the MyUW portal:
- View benefits statements
- View and update timesheets
- View pay information and statements
- View and update personnel information
- Setup web conferencing
Wireless Network Access
UWSS and UWSA employees can access the world-wide eduroam wireless network using their full email address and password.
[Link for document 103116 is unavailable at this time.]
- Accessing Office 365 E-Mail
- Overview of Microsoft OneDrive
- SharePoint Resources
- Microsoft Teams Resources
- [Link for document 103116 is unavailable at this time.]