Connecting to the UW Internal Network Remotely Using VPN
OverviewRemote access to some resources requires use of Virtual Private Network (VPN) software. This document describes how to use a VPN connection to access UWSS or UWSA network resources. Once established, this connection will allow employees to access network file resources, databases, or connect to your desktop computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop.
- These instructions will work for computers using Windows or Mac OS. Other desktop operating systems are unsupported.
- UWSA or UWSS employees use their network credentials to authenticate (NOT your UW-Madison NetID).
- Connecting to the VPN requires that the Cisco AnyConnect client be installed on your computer, instructions are given as part of this document.
Instructions for Installing or Updating the VPN Client Through the Software Center
Installation of the Cisco AnyConnect client can be installed from Software Center on your UWSS or UWSA issued Windows 10 computer.
- Perform a search for "Software Center" and click on the icon to open it.
- In Software Center, under the "Applications" tab, select the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (VPN)" application.
- Click on the "Install" button to start installing.
- Once installation is complete close the Software Center.
- Return To the top and click on the quick link to "Connecting to the VPN" to proceed.
Manually Installing the VPN Client on a Personal or Mac Device
Note: Chrome web browser used in all screen shots in this document.
- In a web browser browse to: https://vpn.wisconsin.edu/.
- At the login window, select your organization in the "GROUP" drop down menu, fill in your user ID and password and click "Login".
- Complete the requested Duo Multi-factor Authentication.
- Select the Continue button to proceed.
- The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Download web page should now appear.
- Select the "Download for Windows" button. The AnyConnect client should start downloading.
- Select the "Open" option for the downloaded file and the AnyConnect client installation should start.
- Select the "Next" button to continue and the License Agreement window.
- Select the "I accept …" option. Select the "Next" button to continue.
- At the "Ready to Install" window select the "Install" button to proceed with the AnyConnect client installation.
- If you have a previous version of the AnyConnect client installed, you should see the "Files in Use" window. Select the "Ok" button to continue with the AnyConnect client installation. When the installation has completed, you should see the window shown below.
- Select the "Finish" button to complete the installation.
Connecting to the VPN
- Search for "Cisco AnyConnect" in your Start menu or Finder to launch the VPN client.
- Enter in the URL to connect:
Note: After you have connected for the first time, the URL will default to UWSS or UWSA. You will not have to enter in the full URL after the first login. The AnyConnect window will now have UWSS or UWSA options in the drop down box to the left of the Connect button. Select the UWSS or UWSA option as-needed to connect to the VPN in the future.
- Enter your user name, password, and Duo MFA information (in the second password field).
Duo Mobile app users: type in push to send a notification to your phone. You may also use the 6-digit passcode displayed in the Duo app.
Fob users: enter the 6-digit passcode from your fob.
- Select the "Accept" button to complete the VPN connection process. The Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobiltiy Client should appear as a circular icon with a lock symbol on your taskbar.
- To disconnect from the VPN, click on the Cisco AnyConnect icon and select the "Disconnect" button in the VPN window.